dip stick, crankcase breather & oil everywhere

dark_knight

Member +
ok, here goes. please note that this is a sequence of events that will help you understand my cause-&-effect problem so please read through and see if you can help me brainstorm.. :(

first instance;
was doing a routine check of fluids etc under the hood before leaving and so took out the oil dip stick but ran up to the house to get something. came back down forgetting to put the dip stick back and went for a short drive. was boosting averagely around 35 hundred revs.

second isntance;
got back home to notice engine oil trickling down the grille beside the right headlight. opened the hood to notice oil everywhere on the belt side of the engine. first thought was that my turbo had died or snapped a line and thrown up everywhere but it was fine. i quickly saw my dip stick where i'd left it in the morning and figured that was the reason. there was oil everywhere; belts, alternator, water pump, map sensor, firewall etc :(

third instance;
i had a tough time cleaning up but did it faithfully with hot water, powder soap and more hot water - streams of it. i didn't feel bad about it since it was really my fault. while i was at it, i decided to replace the crankcase breather pipe that goes to my oil catch can as it was showing some signs of wear.

actual problem;
cleaned everywhere and pieced everything back up and now here's the problem:
went for a spirited run and on getting back to the parking lot, i still had oil around the #1 plug silo. i cleaned that up and again went for a spirited drive. still, same problem. please note my dip stick is back in place, my crankcase breather pipe is on securely with a clamp on it.

here are my thoughts;
a) is there a possible crevice or slot that could be holding oil that had spilled earlier and spewing it out as i get on boost..?

b) most of the oil i find after each spill seems to be more around the #1 plug silo. is it possible that it's coming from the gap between the silo and the rocker cover..?

c) is it possible that the joint on the stock crankcase breather between plug silo #1 & #2 could have developed a leak..? highly unlikely but is it possible still..?

please share your thoughts..
- a worried spacecraft

AdamB

Member +
Where the breather sits on top of the rocker cover, it may not be the breather itself/silicone pipe, but it may be the actual port on the rocker cover, I had this problem on my glanza, the rocker cover port had kinda cracked, and only under boost oil would seep through it.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
sounds to me like ur top cover plug seals have called it a day mate.. nothing serious at all.. a bloody bitch to change as those seals are as impossible as my mother in law.. but in the end ull get them changed no prob :haha:

kon

dark_knight

Member +
oil leak culprits

@AdamB: sounds like a sensible possibility - the port being cracked/nicked that is.. :( ..the only interesting bit is, these spills started after i left the dip stick off and had the first major gush of oil everywhere.. :eek:

@Rev: i don't have the pcvv - ditched it.

@HYBRID: the top cover plug seals are usually visible on the underside when the rocker cover is taken off right..? this is the only shot i could find of my rocker cover off but i figure it's what you are talking about right..? highly unlikely but i guess i may have to take the cover off to inspect the same..

my main worry is that the recurring oil spills are quite voluminous (maybe 20 or 30cc) and that's a lot for a small crack/leak somewhere so just wondering if i've got my finger pointed in the right direction.. :rolleyes:

George611

Member +
If one of them seals have gone on the rocker you should be able to tell if yu take the leads out there will be oil in the spark plug holes or hole.

dark_knight

Member +
possible resolution

thank you all for your contributions mates. i think i may have figured it out. when i had the oil spill, lots of it seemed to have gone down into the plug #1 hole (& silo). i can only imagine it went and sat in-between the top of the r/cover and the seal that plugs the silo so now when on boost, pressure would push the oil up past the rubber bung on the HT lead. i noticed this because after meticulous cleaning, the spillage seems to be reducing so have been running around with a rag wrapped there to catch all the remaining spills and sputters. i should have a report about whether it's cleared by tomorrow..

thanks for all your input. will spread the rep love to all.. :p ..at least those who the forum will allow me to :)