drivers side handbrake mechanism wont release

hello all,

ive recently added some new cables to my starlet (this is actually irrelevant to this).

when setting up the new cables I noticed that the drivers side handbrake mechanism jams when the handbrake is lifted, and does not release when the handbrake is released.

I have tested this with the handbrake cable attached and manually, I literally need to tap it back with a hammer!

how simple is it to strip down the rear setup and free it up etc -any how to's?

many thanks
ryan

davehart

Member +
I would say you need a new rear caliper or a strip down and rebuild of the current one.

Rebuild kits are around £50 or so but I've never rebuilt one myself yet.

I would say you need a new rear caliper or a strip down and rebuild of the current one.

Rebuild kits are around £50 or so but I've never rebuilt one myself yet.

have you got a link to either of those suggestions?

ideally id like to have a go at stripping and cleaning before moving forward with a rebuild kit...

Jay

Admin
Remove caliper, wind out the piston as far as it'll go, then lever it out of the housing completely.

You will probably find a spot of corrosion between the piston and the bore that can be rubbed away with light emery paper and cleaned up. If the piston is too far gone a fresh one can be sourced from Toyota.

During the rebuild remove the seals and replace them using the seal kit (again from Toyota).

Jay

i have had the exact same problem except with passanger side rear. I think you should get a new caliper as its probably for the best. I took my caliper apart found rust on the piston, cleaned it up and made it very smooth again, cleaned everything inside the caliper until it was 100% rust free. I put it back together and now after 5 miles its seized again where it wont release. So just get a new one as it will save you a headache in my opinion

Jay

Admin
If you take the piston out you will more than likely rip the main seal. Better to just buy the seal kit and have it there.