Driveshaft Seized into Hub ?

mad_max926

Member +
Right guys dropped my car off today to have the gearbox driveshaft oil seals relpaced, and got a call to say that my cv boots were ripped and totally fucked and that they needed to be replaced now the problem is the drivers one is totally seized and wont come out of the hub.

Has anyone had a similar issue and how did you get this sorted cars still at the garage now :(

hope my explanation kinda makes sense cheers for your help

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
This is quite usual especially if the procedure has not been done before, they literally become one thing. Like Ben said, heat it up a little and tap it hard, it will come out after a bit of sweating.

mad_max926

Member +
right well EPIC FAIL the garage couldnt get the driveshaft out/unseized and today has cost me £210 and left with a broken car and have got mot this month "oh the joys"

AdamB

Member +
I would advise not using that garage then, if they can't get it out they are not a very good garage I would say.

mad_max926

Member +
ya man i no what your saying kinda feel a bit like that but honestly its a shit hot garage and all the people down there are sound ive been taking the car there for some time now, i should of left the car and fronted the bill but told them i was tight for cash and on a budget so that would affect how long they would try getting it unseized, i mean they aint gonna do the work for free so i dunno??

scrappygit

Member +
Have they not got anything that's air powered to get it out? At time when gas to heat up the part that does not come off or out does not work we get the snapon air chissle out with the correct fitment on the end so nothing gets damaged and it never fails. It's amazing how much power compressed air has

SupaStu

Member +
Mate, sounds like a shit garage, you need a proper mechanic. Sounds like an elbow grease job. There are too many mechanics who are just fitters, and complain and charge a fortune when they find a rusty bolt stuck etc.

AdamB

Member +
Mate, sounds like a shit garage, you need a proper mechanic. Sounds like an elbow grease job. There are too many mechanics who are just fitters, and complain and charge a fortune when they find a rusty bolt stuck etc.

This :D
As Aidan said, put the nut on and give it a good whack with a soft mallet, it will come out, use brute force.

weeJohn

Lifer
If thats not moving it, take the hub off with the driveshaft still in it, put it in a hydraulic press and using heat as well, press it out. There is a good chance you may damage the wheel bearing if its in that bad but thats a cheaper fix than a new hub and shaft.

In fairness to most garages, they dont want to cause more damage in a situation like this so they dont tackle it.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
They do need a hell of a chap at times to get them out but always make sure you got the nut on the end and turn it on flush so you dont damage any threads. For £210 i wouldve been there as long as it took me to get it off ... doesnt sound like good practice, almost as if they knew it would be a challenge and gave up.

-BenGTTurbo-

Member +
If thats not moving it, take the hub off with the driveshaft still in it, put it in a hydraulic press and using heat as well, press it out. There is a good chance you may damage the wheel bearing if its in that bad but thats a cheaper fix than a new hub and shaft.

In fairness to most garages, they dont want to cause more damage in a situation like this so they dont tackle it.

Agreed !! Try this if a bit of brute force does not do the trick... Ill give you a hand if you want max ??