engine open found bore a bit marked (is that normal?)

nexia201

Member +
As title say pulled out pistons to conffirm that it was running really lean ! the pistons are like pitted on the intake side (pictures to follow ) but what is worrying me is that the pistons are touching the bore probably on the compression stroke as its on the exhaust side ,from you guys that had engine open or tuners on here can you please confirm if this is normal? These are the pics of the bores i took yesterday .

no1
22082009018.jpg

no2
22082009019.jpg

no3
22082009020.jpg

no4
22082009021.jpg

and some pics of the pistons ,no2 was extensively damaged at the ringland and the other pistons had the rings cracked due to overheating with running lean plus some scratches at the side near the crown exhaust side where they were rubbing against the cylinder wll

22082009017.jpg

22082009016.jpg

marked with red you can see the piston where its been scorched due to running too hot (light coloured)

22082009015.jpg

22082009015.jpg

thanks in advance

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
ivan can u feel the scratches? if not i wouldnt worry alot, however when u have markings on the bore like u have u had better get the block out & send it to an engineer for a propper honning...

since u have markings on all the cylinders it would indicate that the block was put under alot of stress due to the excessive heat.. it could be an old block as well..

meta qlajta lahhar darba kienu hemm?

suggest u check its face as well buddy.. better safe than sorry :)

kon

jabran200

Member +
I assume new pistons are being fitted+rings so a hone is must really. I would also check why you were getting det as well.

nexia201

Member +
I assume new pistons are being fitted+rings so a hone is must really. I would also check why you were getting det as well.

why i was getting detonation i knoe as it was running on a 7psi map running 11psi boost and that will be sorted as its gona be mapped accordingly after running in

nexia201

Member +
ivan can u feel the scratches? if not i wouldnt worry alot, however when u have markings on the bore like u have u had better get the block out & send it to an engineer for a propper honning...

since u have markings on all the cylinders it would indicate that the block was put under alot of stress due to the excessive heat.. it could be an old block as well..

meta qlajta lahhar darba kienu hemm?

suggest u check its face as well buddy.. better safe than sorry :)

kon

i dont know if it was like this as i wasnt there when hepulled out the pistons last time , and no you cant feel them the bore is like more shiney in those places but the pistons are marked like scratched where it was touching the block

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i dont know if it was like this as i wasnt there when hepulled out the pistons last time , and no you cant feel them the bore is like more shiney in those places but the pistons are marked like scratched where it was touching the block

if you cant feel them just get it honed iv, better doing it once and right them doing it twice!