Ep91 internals limitations

Rob_GlanzaV

Fresh Recruit
hey guys

iv had my glanza about 2/3 month and my bearings and seals have gone in turbo and apparently my piston rings are going too. i was planning on ct9 hybrid and other mods in future anyway so i thought i might aswell just put one on now.

anyway iv gone to a local performance garage to get a quote for the turbo, parts and labour and the guy told me you cant take the ep91 over 170bhp without forged internals because the rods are weaker in the ep91 than the ep82 in which it can handle 220bhp on standard internals.

so just wondering if the 170bhp limit is true? what are you glanza owners running? and what mods can i run safely without uprating the internals?

i was hoping to run the car 180-220bhp...ish lol
many thanks guys!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
You can go over 200 as far as I know on the Glanza. I'm running 256 on my standard GT internals.

fred

Member +
All depends on boost pressure and EGT's.

Provided EGT's are kept low, could run 17-19 psi.

But then you need to consider when the turbo becomes inefficient which on a CT9 is aboe 15 psi.

Chris@CCM

Member +
as spuddy says u can run a lot of hp on a stock engine i tuned a glanza the other day that made 238hp on a stock engine and spuddys too @ 256hp ;)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Aye wot Chris says, so long as its done proper you can be surprised wot u can achieve and my car give the absolute crap kicked out of it anytime I have it out and its survived 2 drag days now at this power and over a year at approx 230hp.

poke

Member +
mate as long as you have your fueling right and your intake right you should have no problem with 180-220bhp on standard internals

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
As long as your engine is in good health then do engine compression test,
the engine strong, Im running 238bph on normal internals high boost only gets used now and then,other people are running more power,.

Rob_GlanzaV

Fresh Recruit
fantastic!!!!

thats exactly what i wanted to hear :) i thought it was a bit strange. the guy just seemed to want to re bore it and go forged internals

many thanks guys! gonna try and get it done soon as!
i'l put a post up of my progress with it :)

Thanks again!

SupaStu

Member +
I'm sure someone has tested the rods (one of the Malta lads) and said that although the glanza ones are thinner (the myth is that they are weaker), they are made with a strong or stronger alloy than the EP82 ones.

Last edited:

Johnny_C

Lifer
I'm sure someone has tested the pistons (one of the Malta lads) and said that although the glanza ones are thinner (the myth is that they are weaker), they are made with a strong or stronger alloy than the EP82 ones.
you mean the rods.

GTdan

In The Closet
as mainly said from pictures that have been provided, the rods on a glanza are slightly thinner therfore weeker.
however, as said, as long as you have a healthy engine to start with and dont run say higher than 1 bar of boost, with a good map (afrs) then you shouldnt have any problems.

munday

Member +
It tends to be revs that kills rods anyway, as the acceleration and deceleratrion forces acting on them are far greater. Although dont get me wrong, im not saying too much boost wont kill them either :haha:

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
im just trying to give the guy a rough boost figure,
becuse i know of some above 1 bar, bus as u say, realiblily is worry above a bar.
but 1 bar is max ballpark on standard,
would you agree with that fella?