FCD trouble really puzzling???

lennyEP82

Member +
My FCD is really annoying me, it only stops cut at setting 2 any higher still i get cut and even on setting 2 to im gettin cut at 14psi. So its working where it used to cut at 12psi but still cuts at 14 any one ever experienced it its wired correctly, very confusing, if the unit was faulty then surely it wouldnt have raised it to 14psi? is it safe to run at setting 2? cheers hope it makes sense.

lennyEP82

Member +
m pretty sure it has the correct wires and i got it from a guy off here whoran it on his, its really anoying!!!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
running the FCD on level 2 will skew the map sensor readings too much, possibly causing the car to run lean. i;ve asked my mate if he had a spare but its the 5 wire type with the speed sensor, which is useless to you basically.

lennyEP82

Member +
thats wharti thought but pete said it would be fine looks likeil have 2 get another 1.Im supposed 2 be having it rolling roaded nt week will it be ok at rr untill i can change it?

dac69er

Super Moderator
it alters the map sensor readings so if you get it setup as it is then get the correct fcd then itll be all screwed up again.

dac69er

Super Moderator
depends how far everything is out and what other mods you have? are you just using a rrfpr for fuelling or do you have an safc or anything?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
on level 2 i reckon the tuner would have a hulluva lot of compensating to do on the FPR and timing to stop it detting as the map sensor readings would be way off the true figure

dac69er

Super Moderator
on level 2 i reckon the tuner would have a hulluva lot of compensating to do on the FPR and timing to stop it detting as the map sensor readings would be way off the true figure

not necessarily. if its not the correct fcd for the car its anyones guess what reading the map sensor is getting. it may not be as far out as you may think, but on the other hand it may be even further out that if it was on number 2 on a starlet specific fcd.
until its been checked it hard to say

dac69er

Super Moderator
get the proper fcd mate. there is obviously something dodgy with it.
its up to you though mate. you could chance it but it may be a wasted effort

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
not necessarily. if its not the correct fcd for the car its anyones guess what reading the map sensor is getting. it may not be as far out as you may think, but on the other hand it may be even further out that if it was on number 2 on a starlet specific fcd.
until its been checked it hard to say

i was referring to a starlet specific FCD ;) it's just a resister that alters the reading the ecu reads from the map sensor, the lower the number, the bigger the difference between the ECU's perceived reading and the actual reading, hence the running lean without the proper fueling mods. now if this was at level 2 the ecu would think it's running next to bugger all boost and only fuel accordingly, hence the deficit would have to be made up by other mods.

imo, before getting it mapped, change the FCD.

dac69er

Super Moderator
but i thought the fcd only starts reducing the point of fuel cut towards the top end of the scale?

for example; if the fcd is set to cut at 1.1 bar then it would fuel perfect up to say 0.8 ish (around std fuel cut) then start altering the signal which would lean it off but allow the car to boost to 1.1 bar max.

that is what the dial on it is for so you can fine tune where this start to happen.

i may be wrong but im sure i read it somewhere and saw a graph showing how it works.
its a bit more than just a resistor!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
so it's a switched, adjustable resistor then ;)

but still it's main job is to make the signal coming from it lower than the one going to it, a bit like a resistor really.

anyways, on a starlet specific FCD you should be able to run 1bar at around level 8. if you can't, somethings wrong.