Fitted LED bulbs to rear lights

Arnold

Lifer
I've bought and fitted some LED bulbs into the rear lights on my Glanza. They're alot brighter and respond quicker than standard bulbs, probably last alot longer too. The only snag is, you need to buy two pairs of large load resister kits for each side. One to stop the indicators flashing twice as fast as it thinks the bulb has blown, and another to stop the ABS warning light coming on the dashboard!

I'm changing the fog light bulbs next (£11 each side!)

Photos coming soon - Anyone else done this to there glanza or GT?

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
Ok i take it nobody has then!

(pictures now moved to my next post)

I fitted two rear fog lights yesterday, they're the brightest fog LED bulbs you can get. The indicators & high load resistors have been fitted, and the dual fillament LED brake bulbs are in. The resistors are mounted two per side to a universal central locking brackets I had lying around. They can't be connected to plastic as it'll melt and without them, the indicators flash double speed as it thinks a bulb is blown, and the ABS warning light comes on the dash.

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

They sell everything you need. It's a bit of a fiddle as you don't get much OEM wiring to work with, and behind the light clusters is a bit cramped - especially as Toyota decided to put the car jack in there (which i've only just discovered a year after buying the car!) still, the end results are worth it.

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
Right, here's some pictures of the progress & passenger side fitting.

glanzaapr1003.JPG

glanzaapr1008.JPG

glanzaapr1007.JPG

glanzaapr1004.JPG

Last edited:

corofin12345

Member +
might be worth looking into this.. ive 98 bubble lighs on mine with no red reflectors so using red bulbs which actually look more pink or violet from the back...

Arnold

Lifer
Yeah mine are the 98/99 lights too, so that's the effect you will get if you convert. It's not the cheapest job in the world, and i imagine lots of people will think it's pointless (if it isn't broke, why change it etc), but they do look so much better. They respond quicker, last longer and are lot brighter!

rb69

Member +
I got some LED's for my number plate lights but i think they are smoked bulbs as that is all they had in at the time. What ones did you use and how much were they?

corofin12345

Member +
Yeah mine are the 98/99 lights too, so that's the effect you will get if you convert. It's not the cheapest job in the world, and i imagine lots of people will think it's pointless (if it isn't broke, why change it etc), but they do look so much better. They respond quicker, last longer and are lot brighter!

its your car at the end of the day. do what you want.. looks good mate:)

Arnold

Lifer
I got some LED's for my number plate lights but i think they are smoked bulbs as that is all they had in at the time. What ones did you use and how much were they?

Each bulb cost about £10 upwards, and i've replaced all 6. The high load resistors are about £6 a pair, and i've bought 2 pairs. I'll try find the exact ones i've got.

I've bought two different sets of indicator bulbs, can't decide which ones to use so i'm waiting till it's dark tonight to compare them. The second lot only arrived this morning.

Arnold

Lifer
Ok, here goes!

Fog Lights - I've used two but you only need 1
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/3821156ba15s-stop-bulb-p-1902.html
6wba.jpg

Indicators - 2 required
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/3821156ba15s-amber-indicator-bulb-pair-p-1900.html
6wba.jpg

Brake / Rear lights - 2 required
They no longer stock the ones i have as i got them in 2007, but you could use.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/3801157-ultimate-stop-tail-bulb-p-1901.html
6wba.jpg

High Load Resistors - 4 required
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/loada-solution-bulb-warning-turn-larger-bulbs-p-1213.html
load_res.jpg

You'll need wire, wiring tools, and i've used 'chocolate block' connectors instead of the standard supplied clips. Total cost for me is around £110

Here's the finished results.

glanzaapr1010.JPG

& look even brighter when it's dark

Last edited:

addz

Member +
They look really smart.

Do you need load resistors? I ask as there are a few different sytles of LED bulbs on ebay, I wonder if they have a form of resistor built in - sorry if that sounds daft

danb87

South East England Area Rep
ive had leds on previous cars, but never had too fit resistors, is it only on glanza/gt?

good work matey looking smart.

addz

Member +
Some cars usually have indicators flash rapidly when LEDs are installed - the system thinks that a light is out. So these resistors stop it from happening, but I'm sure new LEDs have this installed in bulbs surely.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I was working on these not so long ago, Never got them finished got sidetracked. Was a board with 20 something orange LED's on it. Was working too as far as i can remember. May dig them out and see if they still work.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg