FMIC gains..

Topher-EP82

Member +
Hi,

i recently had my car on the Dyno.

Mods:

JAM racing ECU
HKS mushroom filter on standard EFI pipe.
HKS super dragger Exhaust / Mid pipe also.
HKS actuator
Stainless Decat
Stainless Manifold
Baileys Dump valve
New NGK sparks
New ignition leads
New oil and filter

The car made 171.5 Hp and 142 Lbs ft on the Dyno.

What sort of gains can i expect from a Front mounted Intercooler..
1-2 Hp or can i expect 5 - 10 Hp.. i have no idea

any help would be appreciated.. :D

Paul_JJ

Member +
Hi,

i recently had my car on the Dyno.

Mods:

JAM racing ECU
HKS mushroom filter on standard EFI pipe.
HKS super dragger Exhaust / Mid pipe also.
HKS actuator
Stainless Decat
Stainless Manifold
Baileys Dump valve
New NGK sparks
New ignition leads
New oil and filter

The car made 171.5 Hp and 142 Lbs ft on the Dyno.

What sort of gains can i expect from a Front mounted Intercooler..
1-2 Hp or can i expect 5 - 10 Hp.. i have no idea

any help would be appreciated.. :D

The gain would be when you put your car on the dyno a few times in a row as the top mount will become interwarmer and the front mount will stay cold. Another words for a first run the gains will be minimal but once it gets hot the gains will be up to 25%.

weeJohn

Lifer
A 7 degrees drop in air intake temp will make a 1% power increase so you will see some. It depends on what boost you are running as to how hot the charge is as well.

Topher-EP82

Member +
i am planning to relocate the air filter to the front but need to remove the A/C first..

I fully understand the Interwarmer idea suurely this is a real world gain then, As obviously on a drive the IC gets hot being on the engine... So does this mean it may make like 1 - 2 Hp more but it will Retain this much more consistently..

I remember my dad having a Saab 9000 Aero.. these had a FMIC standard, he swapped it for a aftermarket one made by a company called Abbott racing.. it made 10 - 12 Hp with simply the intercooler being fitted purely down to the surface area of the aftermarket item..

I'm running about 12 - 13 PSI so roughly 0.75 - 0.82 bar..

with regards to the filter relocation, what sort of thing can i expect from relocating the air filter and adding a FMIC..

appreciate the help guys :D

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Id say nothing really unless your running too much power/boost for the size of the interccoler then the smaller one will restrict the power not cooling it efficiently. Its well worth going for a front mounted one as mentioned already the performance will be more consistent. On your set up i wouldnt fit it and expect your numbers to sky rocket... Maybe up to 5hp or something id say.

Topher-EP82

Member +
Ok thanks guys..

I'll see abouut getting this relocation of the filter sorted first. i'd hope this with the FMIC would see me 5hp+

Paul_JJ

Member +
Ok thanks guys..

I'll see abouut getting this relocation of the filter sorted first. i'd hope this with the FMIC would see me 5hp+

You will notice a big difference on the hot day -) As it's raining almost all the time in the UK and the water actually gets on the intercooler it does it's job to a certain degree, but only for a standard boost may be 0.8 BAR then if you up the boost the temperature will increase.

The Air Filter relocation is an awesome mod, but don't buy a massive filter unless you plan for 300+ BHP setup - it will cause boost creep.

And you can keep the AC and do the Air Filter relocation look here