Freshly built engine, no oil to the turbo.

Evo

Member +
Hey just wondering what people thought could be causing this.

I've just finished installing my engine after having it rebuilt.

I thought i'd disconnect the coil pack and turn her over a few times to get oil round before firing it up.

To make sure oil was being pushed round i left the oil return pipe off the bottom of the turbo to wait for drips to come through.

Turned it over for a good 30 seconds with no drips so i disconnected the turbo oil feed from the block (just under the filter) and turned it over again, still bone dry.

What are your thoughts?

and yes there's oil in the sump, about 3.5 litres.

Thanks

Christian

dac69er

Super Moderator
im assuming your oil pressure light goes out on the dash after cranking for 30 seconds or so?

Evo

Member +
Didnt actually check and the battery is dead now so will try again in the morning with jump leads but assuming it did go out?

Evo

Member +
Ok.

what do i do if the oil light does come on?

and

what do i do if the oil light doesn't come on?

AzE_B

Member +
if the oil light comes on it means it should be working ok then it should go out if its cranking fast enough and you got pressure

turbostar

Member +
it may not be ur problem but try cranking it over for longer than 30 sec m8t with mine i had to turn it over longer than that. i did worry too when it took a while but it eventually did come thru

Gilly2006

Member +
30 seconds is a long time to be cranking an engine over. if you haven't got oil pressure before that then there is a problem.

it shouldn't take long to get oil pressure at all.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it will take a little while on a freshly rebuilt engine. after sitting for a few months without being started my GT take a little while to get pressure. not quite 30 seconds though ;)

Evo

Member +
Got oil pressure now :)

managed to get it fired up today but the altenator is sparking coz the live wire is touching against the casing a bit.

Gunna sort it tomorrow as i have run out of time today but atleast it's firing :D fingers crossed for no more problems.

Thanks for the help guys.

braindamage

Member +
Word of advice ,when ever anyone of you all are tring to turn the engine to build oil pressure,it is always wise to remove the spark plug so the engine turns over fast and less stress on the bearings because of compresion:cool:

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Word of advice ,when ever anyone of you all are tring to turn the engine to build oil pressure,it is always wise to remove the spark plug so the engine turns over fast and less stress on the bearings because of compresion:cool:

good input

Evo

Member +
Ok so it's starting fine now but you have to hold it at 2000+rpm otherwise it stalls.

Any ideas?

It sounds quiet rough under 2500rpm but then sounds nice and smooth above that. All the spark plugs are firing fine.

I'm just gunna do a compression test but what do people think about it always wanting to stall?

Evo

Member +
Hmm i don't think that's the problem because the engine builder spent a few hours getting the timing as perfect as possible.

I have a vernier adjustable cam pulley and high lift cams which he had measured on a cam doctor and then had a guy from kent cams there helping him time them in.

Thanks for the suggestion though, any suggestions are helpful.