Front mounted intercoolet

DizzyEP91

Fresh Recruit
Alright lads just wondering if a front mounted intercooler is worth the cash and is there much difference in performance and reliability cheers.

Fudder

Fresh Recruit
if ur keeping ur boost and turbo standard no point really but if ur raising ur boost u will need one or an upgraded top mount rx7 etc . but the front mount looks the shit lol

wesgt

Lifer
i'd imagine the front mount would get a lot more airflow than a topmount!
its a good buy in conjunction with other mods. as said above, i wouldn't bother if you are keeping the car standard

rage

Lifer
there are ups and downs about both intercoolers.

top mount is good for stock boost.
has a short route and has a small volume so you get boost quickly.

downside is that it's on top of your engine and it gets hot. hot air = less bang = less horsepower.

so fitting a large front mounted intercooler will fix the heat soak but adds length to the system therefor the boost will come on a bit slower. but then again the cold air you get gives a bit more bang so it's all down to what you prefer. do you want a quick response or a bit more power?

but once you start upgrading the engine, turbo, up the boost then there is almost no way around a FMIC because the small TMIC will struggle.
there are other TMIC's you can get (arc, rx7) but the arc is wicked expensive and the rx7 intercooler isn't really my taste)

hope this helps :)

ramses974

Member +
there are ups and downs about both intercoolers.

top mount is good for stock boost.
has a short route and has a small volume so you get boost quickly.

downside is that it's on top of your engine and it gets hot. hot air = less bang = less horsepower.

so fitting a large front mounted intercooler will fix the heat soak but adds length to the system therefor the boost will come on a bit slower. but then again the cold air you get gives a bit more bang so it's all down to what you prefer. do you want a quick response or a bit more power?

but once you start upgrading the engine, turbo, up the boost then there is almost no way around a FMIC because the small TMIC will struggle.
there are other TMIC's you can get (arc, rx7) but the arc is wicked expensive and the rx7 intercooler isn't really my taste)

hope this helps :)

+1!! i am ok with this analyse
I have experimented a fan with a top mounted with a temperature activator....the stock intercooler is only for stock boost with the ct9..more flow will not be cooled by this intercooler...after that i have fitted the top intercooler in front of my car and it cannot cool more than my greddy intercooler ...
P1020459.jpg