getting the turbo to spool sooner

russyb

Member +
is there anyway to get the turbo to spool sooner as im on a ct9 hybrid running a tmic and although im happy with the boost id like it to be sooner is there any aids to help this happen i.e heatwrapping mani +decat, ebc ?
thanks

John@ECC

Lifer
NOS will bring it in alot earlier and make alot more power down low. The rest will make a minimal difference.

russyb

Member +
yeah it does but theres still that laggy bit at the start when you can hear it, I didnt know if theres any tips to make it shorter ?

ep82morzy

Member +
what rpm are you getting full boost by?i dont think its physicaly possible to get rid of turbo lag altogether mate.as said above it should come on fairly quickly with a hybrid and a topmount

George611

Member +
You wont eliminate turbo lag it will always be there thats the downside to turbos, the only ways i know to minimise lag is by having a short exhaust like a side exit, NOS and installing a supercharger for low down so say the turbo comes o boost at 3400 like a td04 you could have the superchaarger to supply the boost up til that rpm, but running a chrager puts more load on the engine so not much point. Id be more than happy with the spool up of a ct9 hybrid lol

russyb

Member +
well this was my plan from day one keep it tmic to reduce lag and go hybrid ct9 as i heard lots of feedback about td04/05's having quite a bit of lag due to size, but i dunno whether im just being picky or maybe i can improve it

ep82morzy

Member +
every ones set up is different, so people cant say you will 100% get full boost by a certain rpm... but i would have thought on yours it should be around 3000rpm maybe a few hundred rpm less.what exhaust are you running?why not go out in your car,see what rpm you are getting full boost and take it from there

russyb

Member +
see i think my exhaust is restricting a little, i have a Fujitsubo Regalis R at the moment but i have bltz nur spec R to go on think that could make a improvement the bore on the nur spec is far bigger and the Fujitsubo has square sorta box middle of the exhaust that also probably aint helping

AdamB

Member +
What management you running? A fresh remap on an Emanage will do a lot of favours over the usual FPR & FCD route.
Go and test when you reach full boost and what full boost your running. You could have a vac leak.

russyb

Member +
im just running fcd and rrfpr but intending on a jam,sard,blitz pnp ecu asap but dont think its a boost leak as there no loss in boost just the hestitaion of spool

4efteboost

Member +
Ive got a hybrid with fcd and rrfpr but with a front mount and im hitting boost by about 2800rpm so spools up pretty damn quick!

Texx

Super Moderator
very true lol

All joking aside, if your experiencing excessive lag with a CT9 based turbo then either your in the wrong gear, you've got an exhaust/boost leak or there's an issue with the actuator or wastegate.

Regardless of the size of the turbo it'll always have some lag, if your trying to boost from too low an RPM in too high a gear there will be a significant delay before the turbo exceeds it's boost threshold and starts to produce usable positive air pressure. Changing the turbo for one that flows more air for a given pressure will no doubt also require a change in driving style.

weeJohn

Lifer
The length of exhaust manifold runners and intake manifold runners will make a difference to how an engine performs, but like everything else, to get a good mid and top end range is a hard thing to do.