Grooved Discs

Lornce

Member +
Can you tell if my disc are the right way round, i.e grooved pointing in the right direction?

fittingdisc2.jpg

The reason i ask, is that they feel worse than the standard brakes! So its either the discs are the wrong way, or the air in the pipes?

GTdan

In The Closet
yep they are the normal way round, but you can run them the other way.

when i first fitted mine, i could feel scratching and not smooth braking - this was as the coating on brake pads to get them broke in as such - same on the grooved discs too.

When you say worse? spongy?? they will take a 100 miles or so to bed in.

Lornce

Member +
yep they are the normal way round, but you can run them the other way.

when i first fitted mine, i could feel scratching and not smooth braking - this was as the coating on brake pads to get them broke in as such - same on the grooved discs too.

When you say worse? spongy?? they will take a 100 miles or so to bed in.

Feels very spongy and i have already done about 300 miles since fitted. when i had the standard brakes it felt alot sharper to what it does now!

Nwimie

Member +
did you run them in correctly ie no harsh braking to glaze the pads over? i would re-bleed the brake fluid mate altho grooved discs on there own wont make much of a difference ? i assume you have new pads too.

GTdan

In The Closet
did you run them in correctly ie no harsh braking to glaze the pads over? i would re-bleed the brake fluid mate altho grooved discs on there own wont make much of a difference ? i assume you have new pads too.

as above.

when was the last time brake fluid was changed? what pads are you running?

Lornce

Member +

yeah i was breaking very lightly with the brakes for about 150 miles or so and then i tried braking harsh a few times to see what the difference would be and tbh its quite dangerous! - It doesn't even atempt to lock up (it has abs but you can still feel when its trying to lock up)

i fitted Hawk pads and Daves braided brakes lines when i fitted the discs. Also used .5 brake fluid from toyota. I think it might need re-bleeding??

GTdan

In The Closet
i would say say - just make sure there is no air in there - if youve fitted new lines, this would probably explain spongyness, happened to me, that was a little bit of air in there and felt spongy - get it re bled, and hopefully you will find an improvment.

Nwimie

Member +
they should be giving better results than standard i would say there is air in the brake lines mate. re-bleed is the best option then report back!

SupaStu

Member +
Definately sounds like they need bled again, i changed from standard brakes to TRD pads, and 3G discs with new Toyota brake fluid, the brakes felt much better, fresher.

azerty

Supermoderator
yeah you must have some air bublle in your brake system. check it out
as it has been said, they can be used with goove in both direction.
The other way (forward) is supposed to be even more efficient, but will use your pad quicker and make more noize. (it is hard to notice a big difference to be honest)

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah the other way will give better performance but increased pad ware and noise, for the road I would run them the normal way. As mentioned sounds like they need bleeding buddy, get some new Dot 5.1 OEM Toyota fluid, meet up with a buddy and bleed the system :)

T

Lornce

Member +
thanks for the help guys, i thought it would be something to do with air in the lines. i shall have to re-bleed it and update.

rep for everyone :p

NORTHERNEP82

Member +
Just before you bleed you brakes, you can hit the caliper piston several times with a rubber mallet, it will dislodge some air bubbles sticking on the inside.

Lornce

Member +
right iv re-bled the brakes twice over the weekend and took it out both times and the brakes still feel very spoungey - not as bad as it did at first tho! anyone have any ideas?

could it be that the braided brake lines are too small?
or the pads are rubbish?

i'm using dave burwashs braided lines and hawk pads

sx_turbo

Lifer
sometimes pads need heat to get through them to bed them in.

i know i did with my ferodo ds2500, the first couple of times i breaked hard with them, they felt worse than stock brakes, but now they feel awsome, i nearly sent my ex through the window once when i braked suddenly lol

Lornce

Member +
the problem is that i have already done about 1000+ kms and there still no way near as good as the standard breaks?

sx_turbo

Lifer
the problem is that i have already done about 1000+ kms and there still no way near as good as the standard breaks?

yes i know that.

do some more harsh braking (preferebly without traffic about) and get some heat through them.

do this 3-4 times, then leave them to cool for 5 mins it might help.

if not re-bleed them, they can be bastards to bleed and sometimes take 3-4 times

Lornce

Member +
yes i know that.

do some more harsh braking (preferebly without traffic about) and get some heat through them.

do this 3-4 times, then leave them to cool for 5 mins it might help.

if not re-bleed them, they can be bastards to bleed and sometimes take 3-4 times

oh right, i will try that!

i have been just doing the odd harsh brake here and there so it could explain why they are so crap!! :haha:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I don't wanna state the obvious but just incase! Did u bleed them with the handbrake off?

Lornce

Member +
I don't wanna state the obvious but just incase! Did u bleed them with the handbrake off?

oh my, i really dont want to say "no" but the handbrake was on when i bled them! :p (i'm a fool!) - will this affect the front brakes as well?