Help please! Unusual trace of gear box leak

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
I have a drip off the bottom of the gear box leaving a small puddle each day of tranny fluid. I've cleaned it all off and tried to track the leak to be 100% it is the crank shaft seal after reading up on so many people replacing theirs! Although the leak appears to be from higher and tracing along the steering rack :S .. is it possible that its just spread ? Or is there another source it could be coming from ?
I have also recently (A month ago) had a gear box rebuild which I thought was another reason to think crank shaft seal but the leak trace is confusing me!
Any help is much appreciated! I can get some pics up to if it ever stops raining!

corofin12345

Member +
could be the gearbox oil seal.. where the drive shaft goes into the box... the trace of oil up along the steering rack, again could be the gearbox oil seeping out past the gearbox oil seal and the shaft then splattering it up onto the rack.. ("just maybe now")

Jay

Admin
The crank shaft oil seal would leak engine oil. If it's transmission fluid then it'll be from the box itself, check the seals where both driveshafts enter the gearbox as they are the most common leak found after driveshafts have been refitted.

Jay

STARLET N/A

Member +
as above sounds like the gearbox driveshaft seal,

the reason its on your steering rack is because when you drive it will spray it all over the place.

keep an eye on the gearbox oil level, if it goes too low you will have to replace it.

i believe the seals are easy to replace, just take the driveshaft out and replace the seal.

be careful not to damage them when putting shafts back in, as this normally causes the leak.

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
Yer definitely sounds like the driveshaft seal then. I'll find out the part numbers and get to it sharpish! Thanks for the advice all! Much appreciated.

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
Driveshaft is what I intended to say in the first place! My bad, haha. I'll find my nearest toyota or camskill in the area the, seems I've just moved to cornwall! Thanks again y'all.