HID continuity conundrum

Keenoep82

Fresh Recruit
This is why I hate electrics!

HID conversion for low beam (side lights and full beam are standard halogen).
Passenger side bulb had been a bit iffy over the past few weeks and worked when it wanted to, which I just put down to a dubious connection somewhere along the line.

Eventually it gave up and I assumed the bulb had gone. The drivers side then followed suit at the weekend, so I replaced the pair tonight with identical bulbs (H3/9005 6000K - http://www.hids4u.co.uk/Replacement-HB3-Xenon-HID-Bulb-for-HIDS4U-HID-Conversion-Kits.html)

Anyway, neither light up. Continuity tester showed some life in the passenger side, but nothing in the driver side. Power is getting to the ballast fine, but only the one that was/is dodgy seems to give anything out again.
I'm assuming that the ballasts are shot, but both of them at the same time is a little odd? Espicially considering the one that seems to put power out is the one that was/is dodgy?

Fuses are all fine, bulbs are correct.

dac69er

Super Moderator
lots of cheapo HID kits about. the ballasts are crap and wont last long.

what are the actually measuring? you said continuity, but then said you measured it was giving out power?

Keenoep82

Fresh Recruit
Just jammed a circuit tester onto the various points to check that power was flowing (one of those that lights up an LED if the circuit is complete).

Didn't light up on the driver side at all, initially lit then dimmed right down on the passenger side (coming OUT of the ballast, to the bulb).

Clear as mud!

dac69er

Super Moderator
you need to measure the actual output. a circuit tester isnt really much use for what your doing. without geting too complicated, if you have 12v power going into the ballast and it wont power a working bulb (assuming its wired and grounded correctly) then the ballast in knackered and will need replacing.

Keenoep82

Fresh Recruit
Sorted it.

12v into the passenger side. 0.28v into drivers.

Cause - 1 shot ballast on the passenger side, teeny tiny break in the insulation running across to the drivers side meaning the wire inside had oxidised. Missed it several times bfore I found it. But not until I'd replaced both ballasts and bulbs. Cock.