HID's Oppinions

CTR_Timmy

Member +
I need to change my bulbs in the Lexus after the cheap xenon ebay bulbs have failed. Was looking at HID kits but are they really worth the price tag and are they legal has some people think they aernt and say they MOT failure.

Was looking at 6000k ones

wesgt

Lifer
i can't rate hids highly enough, any car i get the first thing i buy is a set of hids, very very good light from them, everyone should have them as a safety feature imo.
dunno about the uk but they pass our nct(mot)
also top end cars have them as standard so they must be legal once they're focused properly.
when you say price tag, how much are the ones you're looking at?
6k will be white light, 8's, which is what i always use have a more blue tint to them and really look the part

wesgt

Lifer
thats dear! what type you need? there a huge improvement over just bulbs though!
8's in galens glanza
hid-kit-8000k.gif

and 6's in my friends gti
17048_106685476014330_100000186330117_179643_8089861_n.jpg

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
im not sure on this but i think if u can see the bulb then they are illegal sound wierd i know but what i mean is with my quad lights on my starlet they are projector lences if u look throught the back of the light there is a panel in the middle so the light doesnt travel forward instead it reflects off the mirrored sides its the same with high end cars that come with hids as standard they all hav projector lences

churcherj

Member +
Thanks Wes so you reckon the 800k ones are the best

6000k provide better lighting than 8000k, its more to do with what styling you want mate, the higher you go the blue'er they become :) with HID i think technically u need jet washers on the front to be totally legal and they will need to be level'd to ensure they do not point high/low and dazzle someone, otherwise they will probably fail this in an MOT. HID's are awesome, i got some from ebay and they never worked so havent got round to fitting some, but they do look awesome at night!

wesgt

Lifer
Thanks Wes so you reckon the 800k ones are the best

well its all a matter of preference, i prefer the look of 8's, seems to me 8's suit jap cars and 6's are more for euro, well thats from what i see anyway

6000k provide better lighting than 8000k, its more to do with what styling you want mate, the higher you go the blue'er they become :) with HID i think technically u need jet washers on the front to be totally legal and they will need to be level'd to ensure they do not point high/low and dazzle someone, otherwise they will probably fail this in an MOT. HID's are awesome, i got some from ebay and they never worked so havent got round to fitting some, but they do look awesome at night!

you can just whip out the bulb for mot and stick in a standard bulb, you don't need to uninstall the whole kit if needs be

and at wes, on that glanza u posted have they had the fogs changed aswell? looks awesome!

yep got fogs also, some people say they don't look good unless used in projectors, but i reckon they suit anything, totally change the look of the car

wesgt

Lifer
you get everything you need in the kit supplied, and the cars above are 35's, the ones i currently have in my camry are 55's, have no pix though, they seem brighter than the 35's, i was very impressed with them, but 35's are very good also!
did you check out that link, they should have what you need, what price you get?
only problem i ever had with them was when i ordered a set of 8k's, and when they arrived one bulb was 8k and the other was 6k so they looked different colours, they sent me out a replacement bulb immediately

churcherj

Member +
i think they look good going by the pic above :) i was just gona say swap them around if your worried about MOT, i would be more worried about police pulling you as technically they arnt legal without washers and an auto-level system

wesgt

Lifer
i think they look good going by the pic above :) i was just gona say swap them around if your worried about MOT, i would be more worried about police pulling you as technically they arnt legal without washers and an auto-level system

would most police know this though? worst that can happen is they make you take them out, i've gone through plenty of checkpoints though and never had a problem.

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
i hav had mine since july and touch wood i havent been pulled even had them in my ford puma and pulled into carpark at cruise one night with them on right infront of a copper and he just told me off for comin in the no entry of the car park said nothing bout the lights and he was stood right in front of them