do you or do you not like hid's?

• like them!

Votes: 53 93.0%
  • don't like them!

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
well since we are on the subject. as Glanza and GT headlights were never designed for HID/Xenon lights then they arrent as efficant as normal Bulbs. so you will get less light output from them. Hence the reason i don't like them

sx_turbo

Lifer
well since we are on the subject. as Glanza and GT headlights were never designed for HID/Xenon lights then they arrent as efficant as normal Bulbs. so you will get less light output from them. Hence the reason i don't like them

im not to sure on that.

elaine gt put hid kit on her car and i can safely say they were flipping bright. much brighter than any stock gt/glanza. they were so bright it kinda done my eyes in a bit. yet hers are road legal.

did you mean efficient as in the ammount of power they draw?

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Well there are many factors, the way HID works is different from halogen bulbs the light output pattern is different. lenses that are manufactured for HID bulbs are a different shape. so it isn't the light output from the lense may be more but it is not being focused in the correct area. i had HID's on my car for a while too and the did look alot brighter but where the light was shed wasn't right. when i went back to the normal Halogen bulbs i could notice the difference straight away. also it can dazzle on coming traffic

sx_turbo

Lifer
Well there are many factors, the way HID works is different from halogen bulbs the light output pattern is different. lenses that are manufactured for HID bulbs are a different shape. so it isn't the light output from the lense may be more but it is not being focused in the correct area. i had HID's on my car for a while too and the did look alot brighter but where the light was shed wasn't right. when i went back to the normal Halogen bulbs i could notice the difference straight away. also it can dazzle on coming traffic

i see, that actually makes sense. i shall craw back under my rock lol

aaronw

Member +
i got these on my gt,i think there alot better than standard when driving at night but as you said the people on the other side of the road coming at me dont like them,keep gettin people gettin almost past me then puttin full beam on,...so frustrating!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i got these on my gt,i think there alot better than standard when driving at night but as you said the people on the other side of the road coming at me dont like them,keep gettin people gettin almost past me then puttin full beam on,...so frustrating!!

thing is, alot of people have probably gone from old tired bulbs to HIDs so the difference will be greater. if you changed your normal bulbs to a set of quality 50% brighter bulbs or something then you would notice a difference with those alone.

Beaker

Member +
Also if you replace your old crappy, dirty headlights with nice fresh new ones, you will notice that your lights sre not as bad as you think. Glanza's really benefit from new headlights as the plastic always goes a bit dodgy over the years.

jabran200

Member +
you can get 60w brighter bublbs my brother had 90w (need bigger relay or something for those) and flippen heck they were bright.

Also when buying HID's please be considerate for other road drivers and do not buy the highest damned ones like the 10000k get something lower down the linke 6000k (not sure how bright they are)

dac69er

Super Moderator
problem with the higher wattage H4s is that they draw alot more current and you can burn the wiring out if your not careful. it can also cause problems with the lenses as they are plastic and wont like lots off excess heat from the higher wattage bulbs.

monka

Member +
i havent experienced any problems with my uprated bulbs
i got 100w/80w ones much brighter, was worried about the risk of the headlight melting and the wires but i've reguarly checked and they are ok. i fitted them last year and its all ok. had no one flash me either, although my lenses are shit so aint getting the full benefit, so waiting to buy some new lights.

azerty

Supermoderator
the poll question is a bit short. nobody can be against HID, as it is a powerfull light. hence why Top cars use them. Now as Franky said, when it comes to GT and Glanza light, they were not designed to match xenon light bulb. so it will glare all around the place. Also. you are missing one main point: color temperature. As this is a very important thing when choosing HID. anything higher than 6000°K is worthless... it will have that chavy blueish light that reflect fog and rain (higher °K figures doesn't mean it is brighter, it only means its color temperature.). that's why OEM HID light are around 4500°K. it's just more efficient. In fact most people confuse Kelvin & Candela. As I just said, Kelvin mesurement is color temperature of the light (yellow, white, blue, purple...). Candela is brightness mesurement. Don't confuse the two

Please don't fit HID bulbs in foglight housing. I realy can't see why you would like to do that, unless you don't want foglight anymore... (or you want enlight FOG device :p)

Last edited:

weakboy2

Member +
if you have quadlights they are great, as the low beam isa projector lens, gives you a proper beam pattern and focussed light!

villen25

Member +
you can get 60w brighter bublbs my brother had 90w (need bigger relay or something for those) and flippen heck they were bright.

Also when buying HID's please be considerate for other road drivers and do not buy the highest damned ones like the 10000k get something lower down the linke 6000k (not sure how bright they are)

6000k is the brightest

villen25

Member +
problem with the higher wattage H4s is that they draw alot more current and you can burn the wiring out if your not careful. it can also cause problems with the lenses as they are plastic and wont like lots off excess heat from the higher wattage bulbs.

it has adapters with thicker wiring to prevent that from happening, 6000k and so forth is the temperature, which a 6000k halogen will produce the same effect just not as bright. damage from heat will more be caused by 10000k+ bulbs or HID's.

tgidavid

Member +
+1 for the liking them. More light, less electrical drain. Who can ask for more. Just make sure you get a real ballast.