Hub Stud Removal???

Glanza Gaz

Member +
was just wondering whether the wheel studs are removable from the hub or would i have to replace the complete hub if i needed to replace the studs? as i am having trouble getting my wheel off due to snapped nuts so am thinking about drilling out the studs so i can remove the broken nuts then replace the studs.

Phil

Super Moderator
the wheel studs are indeed removable.

a small notch is present in the back of the hub to allow the studs to pass out when hammered. just take one at a time with Mr. Hammer and belt them out.

Phil

Craig_GT

Lifer

a small notch is present in the back of the hub to allow the studs to pass out when hammered. just take one at a time with Mr. Hammer and belt them out.

Phil

Spot on!

Good description mate, repped.

Craig

Monkfish

Member +
The only thing to watch for is that you don't fuck the threads on the studs up. Re-fitting the wheel nuts should protect them.

GTti

Member +
I always find that when you hit stuff like this with a mallet or hammer, instead of a forward and backward motion - try hitting it and don't let the hammer rebound back (As in continue to push it against the top of the stud).

Just something I've noticed, forcing the vibrations one way seem to help 'free' things up easier if they are locked in place.

Glanza Gaz

Member +

Phil

Cheers phil thats helped a lot :)! Never buying lightweight aluminium wheel nuts again haha! Just need to find somewhere to get some new studs to replace these now. have some reppage!

350ep70gr

Member +
Most of them are stuck due to rust(corrosion) and you need to heat them and apply some brake fluid before starting with the hammer;).

Chris

durmz

Member +
what nuts did you buy mate? i had the same fucking problem, some tpi wheelnuts from egay, i emailed the guy and he said thats impossible...well yer...sure it is lol

Glanza Gaz

Member +
what nuts did you buy mate? i had the same fucking problem, some tpi wheelnuts from egay, i emailed the guy and he said thats impossible...well yer...sure it is lol
mine were from toytuning, dunno if they sell them anymore though (probably coz they discovered they're WANK!), the ones on their website now look more durable. It seems theres been some kind of welding between the two dissimilar metals so now theyr'e stuck. Then when you try to turn them the bit your trying to turn snaps clean off!! leaving you with the chamfered fucking boss still gripping your wheel on but with nothing to grip ARGGGGHHHH! how did you end up getting them off?? the only thing I can think now is drill through the nut, down the centre of the stud (with a drill bit the same size of the stud) effectively getting rid of anything for the nut to grip onto. Do it with ALL the other nuts/studs, remove the wheels knock out the studs replace all the studs with new ones and put some decent STEEL nuts on haha!

Misterdan88

Member +
mine were from toytuning, dunno if they sell them anymore though (probably coz they discovered they're WANK!), the ones on their website now look more durable. It seems theres been some kind of welding between the two dissimilar metals so now theyr'e stuck. Then when you try to turn them the bit your trying to turn snaps clean off!! leaving you with the chamfered fucking boss still gripping your wheel on but with nothing to grip ARGGGGHHHH! how did you end up getting them off?? the only thing I can think now is drill through the nut, down the centre of the stud (with a drill bit the same size of the stud) effectively getting rid of anything for the nut to grip onto. Do it with ALL the other nuts/studs, remove the wheels knock out the studs replace all the studs with new ones and put some decent STEEL nuts on haha!

Sorry to bump the thread but where did you get the new studs from?
(searched alot of threads and couldnt find the size of the OEM studs any where or where to get them other then toyota, sorry if i missed it out any where)

Ta :D

Craig_GT

Lifer
Sorry to bump the thread but where did you get the new studs from?
(searched alot of threads and couldnt find the size of the OEM studs any where or where to get them other then toyota, sorry if i missed it out any where)

Ta :D

You could try a few breakers on here mate, i know i posted out some for free to someone not that long ago, might have some lyin around.
failing that you could try ebay, unfortunately i cant mind the size of the top of my head but im sure someone will be able to confirm the size :)

Misterdan88

Member +
Yeah i had a quick look on egay but not knowing the size (and nothing coming up for starlet 1s) is why i searched on here.. Il try the breakers and/or some1 will help me out with the size i need ;).

Drop me a pm if you have any about, i only need 1!!!!

ep91_matt

Fresh Recruit
Let me try and help you out here just had the same problem..........

mine was rear stud though so double check with toyota if yours is front or they could be the same size.

part no. 90942-02047

cost me about £5.64 each inc VAT.

ordered mine last tuesday came thursday.

hope this helps