I never been in such a fast car

Pumba_GT

Member +
Blimey, thought i would like to share my thought on this CRX beast to you all.
Here is its video links during the dyno run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMAXLzGYM8k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfgvAapEBU&feature=related

What happen is, my mate took me along this evening to view a CRX SiR near my town. While he is dealing with the owner of that CRX SiR, I talked to the chap's mate, who has a K20 conversion in his CRX with LSD 6 speed gearbox. He said it makes 237BHP on the fly, and 12.xx secs on the 1/4 mile on street tyres. After sometime talking to him, he brought me in his beast and did a power run. F*cking H*ll, it's really too fast to be true. There is 0 sec in lagging when the power kicks in and the G force is unbelievable! Trust me, I had never ever experience this kind of speed and G force in my life time, it's untrue, still giggling in my mind. As far as I know, he got an AEM stand alone ecu, air fuel ratio gauge, FSE regulator and a HKS panel air filter only!
I don't really post something which is not related to Starlet here, but this one is really amazing! I can't figure out how quick the beast can go, and it would had beaten any twin turbo up to 600bhp easily. I will follow up his near future run at Santa Pod next month, should get an easy high 11 secs with R888.

fec

Member +
Say that would really fly cause its great engine and also beacause those CRX weigh virtually nothing..

No doubt give lot more expensive cars serious run

GTti

Member +
11 second 1/4 mile with a 200bhp fwd car?

There's plenty of 200bhp+ Starlets here that carry less weight so I don't see what the fuss is about?

Maybe it just feels quick, and you can't figure out how it can do a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds is because he's infact chatting cod shit :D

Pumba_GT

Member +
Nah, no idea GTti, I just said what I was been told. Anyway, BHP is not the measurement for 1/4 mile time if you know what I mean. 237BHP with unknown torque, 700kg weight car, LSD gearbox, 15" Toyo R888 and launch control seems making sense for high 12 secs. Just my 2 pence. It feels real fast and the acceleration is unreal.

GTti

Member +
Nah, no idea GTti, I just said what I was been told. Anyway, BHP is not the measurement for 1/4 mile time if you know what I mean. 237BHP with unknown torque, 700kg weight car, LSD gearbox, 15" Toyo R888 and launch control seems making sense for high 12 secs. Just my 2 pence. It feels real fast and the acceleration is unreal.

No way a CRX weighs 700kg though!

My stripped out GTti isn't even that light. A CRX weighs about 950kg stock.

Sham

Member +
Vtec kicks in about 4500rpm, why so early???
But i bet its awesome car, i been in a crx with integra type r engine and i was loving it, the way the car was shooting to redline in each gear...

Iain@CRD

Lifer
If the CRX is between the following years it weighs the following amount:

CRX 1.6i-16 = 1987-91 = 900kg

CRX 1.6VTi = 1989-91 = 1010kg

Next is the quarter mile times, please note these are ESTIMATES ONLY!

First:

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 237
Weight without Driver (KG) : 900
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 267.56
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.79
0 - 100 (Secs) : 11.46
60 - 100 (Secs) : 6.66
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.16
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 107.15
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.96
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 109.14

Second:

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 237
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1010
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 238.42
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.09
0 - 100 (Secs) : 12.19
60 - 100 (Secs) : 7.11
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.45
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 105.02
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.25
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 106.95

There is no way in hell he ran a 12 second qtr mile with street tyres and also no way in hell hes going to do an 11 second qtr mile with semi-slicks.

Unless he has viper stripes? lol

I watched the videos and is a nice car, always liked the K20 swap, never saw it done before on a CRX.

P.S Im not having a go at you Pumba :p <3 xx

Last edited:
I once worked with a guy who had an evo 2 than ran a 10.4 1/4 mile at 28psi of boost. use to drive it to work and drop me home every day, nuts i tell ya

Gee

Member +
I have been up against a CRX with a Teg engine conversion. Rolling start from 3rd gear..the crx was fast...but not fast enough :D

affy

Lifer
I can't figure out how quick the beast can go, and it would had beaten any twin turbo up to 600bhp easily. I will follow up his near future run at Santa Pod next month, should get an easy high 11 secs with R888.

its intresting when someting new is done or seen, but why spoil it and come out with crap about beating a 600bhp twin turbo lol

first of all its a fwd car so i dont see how on earth its gona launch itself past a 4wd, and 600bhp is no joke, let alone the standard twin turbo's well tell him to put it up against a skyline twin turbo, you did say twin turbo,

work out a bhp per ton on a 600bhp car, and the spool u time, 0-60 and then you'l know :p

Adam_Glanza

Member +
no doubt im sure its fast but yeah it wouldnt stand a chance against anything decent with that sort of power!

i think hes been telling a lickle porky pie lol

hybrid_G4E

Member +

butt dyno tends to lie a lot, pumba! :p

but shit that's a gud car there mate! IMO anything above 200bhp and weighs less than a tonne deserves some respect there! :rockon:

starlet4life

Fresh Recruit
it wont compare with twin turbos or evos off the line

i know them vtecs are quick from a rolling start I couldnt keep up with a standard civic b18..

mind you bein lightweight and with a k20 conversion it could put some cars to shame:shoot:

Idrees

Banned
I have been up against a CRX with a Teg engine conversion. Rolling start from 3rd gear..the crx was fast...but not fast enough :D
Witness is over here! Left it for dust :p

But when I sat in the CRX it did feel really 'quick' but there was no torque. It felt a total different thing to Gee's Glanza because of the silly amount of torque the Starlet has :p

I enjoyed the ride in the CRX though :)

Rory

Lifer
Yes a K20 in a CRX is fast, but i highlt doubt he will run an 11.

theres one up here, with around 250 / 260 bhp and it runs constant 13.3's/ 4's on street tyres.

Ive raced a twin turbo skyline, and he bareley got away over the 1/4, hell theres a video on youtube.
The CRX up here will keep with it no problem, if put against one another.

600bhp, the CRX wont catch.

Pumba_GT

Member +
Wow, so many replies on my mate's K20 CRX thread! To be honest with you, I didn't say that it must fly through any 600BHP twin turbo as a fact, that's just my expression on its acceleration from standing start, and also from mid-range to top-end. I admit it's my bad talking something bullshit for a light weight K20 CRX quicker than 600bhp cars, that looks quite untrue to be honest if I think back. But hey, that's not a statement, I didn't mean that, it's just my feeling and the way to express something very unbelievably quick.
For information on his CRX, it's totally stripped inside, centre console removed as well, no speakers in the car, no players, but heater. Brake master cylinder removed as it can't clear the K20 engine, so it's temporary running something "different hydraulic brake", temporary small Golf radiator, no strut braces, handling wise, only R888, 15" alloys and low springs + stiffer damper, removed bonnet frame and a big hole on the bonnet, brand new bigger honda discs and ferrodo pads, maybe an aftermarket exhaust.
I will try to get his time strip on the 1/4 mile not to proof you all, but at least I know that he is not talking shit and me being a culprit! Haha.