Imporving a standard Top mount

ryan_v

Lifer
Is there anyway of improving it without changing it? Or a budget mod that can be done for colder air temps?

munday

Member +
Is there anyway of improving it without changing it? Or a budget mod that can be done for colder air temps?

Maximise the airflow through it, make sure there are no gaps for the air to escape around between the topmount and bonnet (use bits of foam to seal any gaps) and try to ensure the air has somewhere to go afterwards (if you dont have a lower pressure underneath the topmount you wont get any airflow at all)

Not really an easy way of doing this without using a magnehelic guage and measuring the air pressure then making undertrays and splitters etc

ryan_v

Lifer
I was gonna heatproof underneath it but you recon heatproof sealed scoop underneath it and direct it out the back of the bonnet, sounds like challenge.

munday

Member +
I was gonna heatproof underneath it but you recon heatproof sealed scoop underneath it and direct it out the back of the bonnet, sounds like challenge.

If you can stop the heat radiating from the cam cover but maintain airflow through the core that would be an improvment. As for directing air out the back of the bonnet i dont think you'll do very well as its a high pressure area, any scoop or vent there will just let air into the engine bay rather than let it escape

Jay

Admin
Already tried the heatproofing - it restricts the air flowing through the core which leads to hotter intake temps. No point doing that IMO.

Texx

Super Moderator
What about spacing the bonnet hinges to lift the rear of the bonnet and then lifting the IC to suite?

ryan_v

Lifer
Yeah if the bonnet was spaced at the back and the cooler lifted a bit, do you think a scoop and heatproofing would work? i need a gauge to check inlet temps to see if it works, any1 got a cheap way of making one?

Glanza_K31

Member +
just a thought here but....

what if you raised just the back of tmic along with raising bonnet at back, both equal and by a fair bit then gettin a sheet of metal flat on tmic bracket to direct air and shield heat soak.

to be honest though seems a lot of effort when you consider how cheap fmic's are new and used.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well the only prooven mod so far iv come across is the Sard Cooling Spray.

Its a kit made by sard for hte ep82/91 which involves a kit with 2 foggers spraying water onto the topmount. It comes with its own controller, pump etc.

Sard claim it can decrease charge temps by 27%.. im not sure about this figure as its never been tested locally, though i know somebody who had tried one with pretty good results.

kon

Muddy_fox

Member +
can you put an all weather fan underneath the IC, just like on the other IC.

Our Space Gear have this all weather fan under its IC.

TurboDave

Member +
Absolute waste of time trying to do anything apart from getting a good seal between the bonnet scoop and cooler.

Jay

Admin
Supersize me!

nmagic21img600x39711935ix2.jpg

nmagic21img600x45111935.jpg