info on Mr2's

lingl9z

Member +
I'm basically part way through saving for a car and have 2 in mind.

1 Another mx5
2 An Mr2 N/a or Turbo depending on running costs

Few questions

1. What's the Mr2 like on fuel (both turbo and N/a)
2. Any thing I should look out for when looking at them? (Rust, common problems etc?)
3. Interference or non-Interference, that is the question?
4. Anything else you think would be helpful :)

Thanks Rich.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
mx5 are a good car mate, as your probally aware. as for mr2 turbo from what a mate has told me there actually quite good on juice, an his is runin over 300bhp.

thats basically my knwledge on it. lol im sure youll pic a good one dude

lingl9z

Member +
Cheers dan, Loved my old Mx5 was a super awesome car! but a women smashed in to it and I lost interest :( Mr2 seem's a good idea and import turbo insurance is looking at around £1100 with green light if I go for that, no idea what the NA would be but looking on confused told me 1750 for a Uk speced one lol

danb87

South East England Area Rep
no point gettin a mr2 unless its turbo lolbe no diffrent from drivin a hdi 306 lol. typical women. price aint too bad for a import one dude, quite a good quote i think :)

lingl9z

Member +
Yeah just need it to be reliable and not to harsh on petrol etc or I'll sell it at a huge loss like usual. Lol.

easty-5

Member +
I have a Mr2 Rev 3 Turbo. I'll answer your questions best I can;

Q: What's the Mr2 like on fuel (both turbo and N/a)
A: Turbo's need to ideally be run on V-power and I get roughly 200miles to a tank town driving. Approx £65 to fill up.

Q: Any thing I should look out for when looking at them? (Rust, common problems etc?)
A: Check the sills. Rust is common on them and if bad they usually need cutting out and new ones welded in. Check it's not loosing any water. The waterpipes that carry coolant from the rear to the Rad are prone to cracking which causes coolant loss and eventually overheating. It's a bitch of a job to repair hence why they are dubbed "Hoses from hell".

Q: Interference or non-Interference, that is the question?
A: Assuming you mean if the timing belt snaps? The 3SGTE engine is a non-interference engine.

Q: Anything else you think would be helpful
A: If you get a MR2 get a turbo and get Rev 3 and onwards. Rev 1's and 2's have less power standard and the headgaskets are prone to going due to the fact they used paper gaskets. Rev 3+ uses a metal gasket. It also comes with LSD as standard. It has a different turbo too, although it has a ceramic shaft which has been known to shatter when boost is upped too much. They run 0.8 standard but can be upped to 1.1 bar with a MBC/EBC. 300bhp isn't too hard to achieve. The usual breathing mods and upped boost will see you on the brink of 300bhp with a healthy engine.

lingl9z

Member +
Thanks for that buddy, very very helpful indeed - what year are rev3's ? - Repped aswell.

I know it's a toyota but what sort of Mileage can these things withstand? Seem's to be a lot of high milers out there!

Last edited:

sw20-3sgte

Fresh Recruit
I have a Mr2 Rev 3 Turbo. I'll answer your questions best I can;

Q: What's the Mr2 like on fuel (both turbo and N/a)
A: Turbo's need to ideally be run on V-power and I get roughly 200miles to a tank town driving. Approx £65 to fill up.

Q: Any thing I should look out for when looking at them? (Rust, common problems etc?)
A: Check the sills. Rust is common on them and if bad they usually need cutting out and new ones welded in. Check it's not loosing any water. The waterpipes that carry coolant from the rear to the Rad are prone to cracking which causes coolant loss and eventually overheating. It's a bitch of a job to repair hence why they are dubbed "Hoses from hell".

Q: Interference or non-Interference, that is the question?
A: Assuming you mean if the timing belt snaps? The 3SGTE engine is a non-interference engine.

Q: Anything else you think would be helpful
A: If you get a MR2 get a turbo and get Rev 3 and onwards. Rev 1's and 2's have less power standard and the headgaskets are prone to going due to the fact they used paper gaskets. Rev 3+ uses a metal gasket. It also comes with LSD as standard. It has a different turbo too, although it has a ceramic shaft which has been known to shatter when boost is upped too much. They run 0.8 standard but can be upped to 1.1 bar with a MBC/EBC. 300bhp isn't too hard to achieve. The usual breathing mods and upped boost will see you on the brink of 300bhp with a healthy engine.

i also have a mr2 turbo but mines a rev2 tubby running 250 bhp at 11.5 psi with a decat, induction kit,RSR exhaust, greddy clutch, oil breather

first question, second question is more or less spot on but i get more mpg as i do alot more motorway driving...

third is also correct but i have known other mr2 turbo members engine to fail when the timingbelt snapped so its really a hit or miss with that one..

question 4 yes rev 3+ is they way forward. they are much more easier to modify and the turbo on them holds the boost better.. the only way you risk damaging the headgasket on a rev 1 or 2 is by running 1 bar (14.5 psi) for a long period, but they handle 13 psi all day.. rev 3 onwards all have LSD gearbox's but some rev2's also have LSD (like mine).. All mr2 turbos use the same intercooler and all mr2 turbos run a little rich too.. they can be a little tricky in the rain and snow so take it easy on your first few drives in rain and snow

ooo ye MR2 Turbos get better mpg than the N.A off boost but its so difficult to drive them off boost you get the urge to plant your foot down

Texx

Super Moderator
I noticed a good improvement in fuel economy after installing an ST205 chargecooler. Was getting around 23-24mpg before and around 30mpg after fitting under normal driving conditions.

That was a Rev2 running 1.2bar on a TD05-16G8 with a Mines VX-ROM.

sw20-3sgte

Fresh Recruit
I noticed a good improvement in fuel economy after installing an ST205 chargecooler. Was getting around 23-24mpg before and around 30mpg after fitting under normal driving conditions.

That was a Rev2 running 1.2bar on a TD05-16G8 with a Mines VX-ROM.

Really thats good, i would install one but it seems like alot of hassle, with the pump and the extra radiator :(

Texx

Super Moderator
Really thats good, i would install one but it seems like alot of hassle, with the pump and the extra radiator :(

It's a bit of work to get everything in the bay, but definitely worth the effort. I was originally using quite a large ARC IC mounted in the stock location, after swapping to the ST205 CC there was a definite noticeable increase in torque output from the engine. I'm assuming it was probably this additional torque that provided the increase in fuel economy.

lingl9z

Member +
Thanks for that guys, very helpful indeed that kind of mpg is good enough for me! will see whats about when I've saved up enough money :) Hopefully the quote I got end of last year hasnt rised too much! =]

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Will it be your primary car? If not get her insured classical, mines £140 a year! Oh its a Rev1 turbo 265hp.

Last edited:

lingl9z

Member +
Yeah will be my primary car although I wouldnt drive it that often tbh few days out of the week maybe. I do less than 3k miles a year as it is lol!

what are rev1's like in terms of handling? I keep hearing horror storys on them?

In term's of maintainence are they expensive? as I won't have piles of money after purchasing one :)

Timing belt... I assume there expensive on these to get done?

Who's your classic insurance through? and thanks!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
The Rev1 is meant to be the worst handling model but I've never driven the others so have nothing to compair to. In the Wet when giving it the beans it can step out going from 1st to 2nd but thats just good fun. You have to be wise on the bends though when in the wet.

They are a curse to work on so labour can cost more, the parts though are resonable.

I'll have to check my documents to see who im insured with cause I went through a broker. I'll get back to you though.

lingl9z

Member +
Thanks for that, I expected the Labour to be more expensive I guess, aslong as there fairly reliable won't be messing with boost or anything thing will only really mess with handling/cosmetc mods! =]

steveatyork

Member +
My bro had a rev 3,running 1.1bar and it was like a rocket launching of the line also got to 150mph pretty quick,it didn't feel that stable at high speed but we put that down to crap tyres,
I personally liked it to drive felt very sporty.was just a shame it spat a rod out at the drag strip,which according to my bro is unusual as the bottom ends are pretty tough

it also wasn't that far beheind my r5 in a 30mph-125 race

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'm always amazed at the launching grip of the line and mines only got Rainsport tyres and no LSD, things insaine of the line. I'm convinced no other RWD could keep up on launching due to the weight being right over the back wheels in them.

Defo going to build a drag spec monster in the next couple of years, starlet still needs a fortune spent on it first though.