intercooler not cooling like it should?

Dazzergt

Member +
i have a front mount intercooler, when i had it on the rooling road the intercooler is not cooling like it should loosing bout 10bhp any ideas why this is?

Phil

Super Moderator
your probly just loosing a wee drop of boost with the front mount on, but have you any proof that the cooler is actually cooling well? intake temps or anything?

my bet is your down a few psi with the fmic.

Phil

Dazzergt

Member +
iv just gone td04 and they were programing the unichip, they had a thermostat in the front mount and had t keep spraying water on it todo the runs,

Blak_Mamber

Member +
WHen i got my car on the Dyno, the were always spraying it with water to keep it cool.

Did they say 'this cooler is not cooling the turbo enough?'

Phil

Super Moderator
pretty sure its a comman issue if a car is on a dyno for a prolonged period of time.

how do you know it was short on power? had you assumed a figure before the tuning?

Phil

Dazzergt

Member +
he jus said for the size of it it seems relaly ineficent, but did say the the rectrictvie air intake could be heating the air into the turbo so see how it goes when i change that.

dac69er

Super Moderator
he jus said for the size of it it seems relaly ineficent, but did say the the rectrictvie air intake could be heating the air into the turbo so see how it goes when i change that.

if he is coming out with bullshit like that then take the car elsewhere mate!

easty-5

Member +
If it was a decent Dyno then you will be given graph with your intake temps. If they are high then this will indicate inefficient cooling, more than likely due to your intercooler. Were you given a graph, or told what your intake temps were?

Some people come out with the biggest amount of crap on this site without getting full details first. Instead of getting on at the OP, try and find out more details from him. We aren't all expert tuners like most on here you know.

Phil

Super Moderator
it completely normal for a car to get higher intake temps if the dyno blower is insufficent for sustained runs on the dyno(whats needed for tuning) even on big setups(dyno setups i mean) they let the car cool between runs, its more than hard to replicate the cooling of road conditions.

maybe that coupled with a restrictive intake system could be loosing you some power! cooling wise, it wont be the intercooler, it would have to be titchy to not manage.

you should have just ran with an open turbo to eliminate his crap about intake restrictions making a difference.

Phil

sx_turbo

Lifer
company's that use to small a fan spray the intercooler with water to bring the intake temps down, when your out on the road there is much more air cooling the ic.

what intercooler are you using?

Fatman

Member +
Heat soak on a dyno is to be expected, this is why a complete tune should always include a road tuning portion to more accurately represent real world conditions.

carrington865

Member +
i was chattin to dazzergt at work 2day. he sed was gettin intake temps of 40 deg c. we dont know what cooler it is as it was already on car. the pipe work doesnt go over the mani like autobahn, its not a hdi either.

its pretty big tho and easily able to do the job IMO

dac69er

Super Moderator
in this weather i get intake temps of approx 25-30 degrees once all warmed up and stuff. in the height of summer i was getting about 40-44 degrees.

obviously if i sit for an extended period or drive slowly in traffic the temperature rises above those figures.

im running a ct9 at about 1.1 bar and have a smallish fmic.

carrington865

Member +
he was on the rollin road gettin re-mapped. using a td04 set up.

u recon 40 is abit high given the circumstances or RR and td04?

Big_Daddy

Member +
So what is 40 degress, is that just stationary? I think it should be around 35 degress as you rev up with boost.