is a diff a good investment or toyota lsd box?

adam ep

Member +
guys im on the line wheter to save up for the standard lsd box for my glanza or put in a trd 1.5 way diff in my box with new syncros all the odds... what is the better option? i will be doing alot of racing and i like geting off the line fast....and for track on the bends...

the box in my car has a brilliant pull off 3rd and 4th so im afraid if i get a diff box the ratios would be different as im not even sure if the box in my car is a glanza c56 or whichever one it is...becuase on the inside of the driver door it says my cadr has the lsd but it dosent so the box was changed somewhere along the lines

Iain@CRD

Lifer
toyota factory ones are shit

Are they?

Having a diff is better than not having any diff at all.

I drove a Starlet with half my power and it was spinning in 2nd and 3rd gear where my car grips on a stock LSD.

Saying there shit is a ridiculous comment.

A good toyota LSD box is a good investment but if you want a better LSD to cope with more power then save up for the TRD 1.5 way.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Are they?

I drove a Starlet with half my power and it was spinning in 2nd and 3rd gear where my car grips on a stock LSD.

A good toyota LSD box is a good investment but if you want a better LSD to cope with more power then save up for the TRD 1.5 way.

the stock toyota diff isnt the best, but i wouldnt say it is shit.

the majority of the ones you will buy second hand now are probably knackered. its a sealed diff unit and once its worn out it works as per a normal stock open diff. i would not waste money on buying a box with a stock diff unless it was cheap.

and as for the car spinning the wheels, the diff may not be the only factor there. if the tires, alignment and other things are different then it could easily spin.

Texx

Super Moderator
IMO switching to a factory LSD setup is a false economy. Sourcing the box, end plate, rear mount and shorter shaft can prove fairly difficult at the best of times and even then you'll have no idea whether the viscous coupling is any good or how much life it's got left in it. If the viscous coupling does fail then your left with an open diff that you can't upgrade.

Personally I would source a helical type LSD and replace the synchros, shaft bearings, diff carrier bearings and any other worn components whilst the box is apart. A helical LSD will be easy to live with day to day and there shouldn't be any concern of it wearing out or failing in the future.

Rory

Lifer
Couldnt have put it better. :)

IMO switching to a factory LSD setup is a false economy. Sourcing the box, end plate, rear mount and shorter shaft can prove fairly difficult at the best of times and even then you'll have no idea whether the viscous coupling is any good or how much life it's got left in it. If the viscous coupling does fail then your left with an open diff that you can't upgrade.

Personally I would source a helical type LSD and replace the synchros, shaft bearings, diff carrier bearings and any other worn components whilst the box is apart. A helical LSD will be easy to live with day to day and there shouldn't be any concern of it wearing out or failing in the future.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Now that we are on the subject of uprated diffs and choices, i would highly recommend you try KAAZ. Ive sold a numerous amount of these and received nothing but positive feedback. One of my customers in particular done ALOT of research before purchasing the LSD of his choice and opted for KAAZ 1.5 way. Most of the LSD's out there are over £600 plus and thats JUST for the LSD itself, where as with KAAZ i can get 2litres of there own branded transmission oil in with the package also, saving £40.

Heres some information, maybe of some use to you.

http://www.bodykitsonline.co.uk/blog/?p=211

weeJohn

Lifer
Are they?

They are a shit LSD diff, but better than an open diff.