Is it ok to run 2 different mag sizes?

1bar

Member +
Is it ok to have two different mag sizes? One pair is 15x7 and the other pair is 16x7. Also what would be the best having the 16s on the front or rear? thanks

Last edited:

Foggy

Member +
I dont think it would pass a car test not in ireland anyway. Id run the bigger wheels on the back.

MeisterR

Lifer
Bigger on back.

In uk MOT test all 4 wheels have to be the same size.

Is it? That is something I don't know. :eek:
I know a few factory car that come with larger wheels as standard such as the Dodge Viper, but I guess that is in America.

I would of thought it makes no difference in terms of size of the wheel, but sometime laws are weird.

Texx

Super Moderator
The front tyres/wheels can be a different size to the back, but the tyre size on each side of an axle must match to pass a UK MOT.

i.e. you could have 195/50/15 tyres fitted to the front 2 wheels and have 205/60/16 tyres on the back 2 wheels, but couldn't have a 195/50/15 tyre on one front wheel and a 205/60/16 tyre on the other front wheel.

Texx

Super Moderator
Is it ok to have two different mag sizes? One pair is 15x7 and the other pair is 16x7. Also what would be the best having the 16s on the front or rear? thanks

It's not ideal, but I don't see any major reason why you couldn't. I would suggest it would be best to fit the larger wheels to the rear, but use the same width tyres all round.

turboflow

Member +
i would put them on the front, cruise's demo ep91 built for track work had 15/195/50 on rear and 16/45/205 on front

starletjosh

Member +
big on the front. Think about it a high power car has bigger wheels on whatever axle is driving. Big on front=more traction.

tgidavid

Member +
Small in the front. With all things being equal you want to keep weight off the front as much as possible. The smaller wheel means less rotational weight which equates to better wheel HP. Also, the 16x7 would be better suited to the rears as the tyre contact would be slightly larger in the rear and would improve handling.

tgidavid

Member +
big on the front. Think about it a high power car has bigger wheels on whatever axle is driving. Big on front=more traction.

newtons law mate. Try spinning a golf ball and then a soccer ball. It takes a lot more energy to spin a soccer ball than a golf ball. Less energy spent to rotate a tyre means more energy it has to the road.

Fatman

Member +
Running two wheel sizes isn't an issue, tire size is. Make sure you end up with very similar rolling circumferences via a lower profile tire on the 16's. If your car is ABS it will go MENTAL if you have a large difference in wheel speed front to rear. Found that out the hard way at the drag strip well into 3 figures. Thank goodness for handbrakes.

Jay

Admin
I ran 15's and 14's for a while years ago and found the bigger wheels better on the front. Otherwise the rear of the car had more grip than the front which made for interesting cornering.

Still would recommend running all four the same size though.

Just because you have bigger wheels doesnt mean you have more traction :homer:

Damm just because you have a wider tyre does not mean you will have more traction and contact patch that a smaller width tyre.