knock sensor failure

japakos

Member +
A while ago 52 error came on and my knock sensor was off. I replaced it with a good one (OEM) off another 4efte engine , worked for 4 days and today the same thing.. off.. 52 error check engine light on and rich condition etc etc. I have triple checked the wiring with a multimeter and everything is fine. The wire is 100% good as well as the plug too. Is it my luck? Or I have to worry about it?

japakos

Member +
I'm going to run a wire from the cabin directly outside of the car to drive it like this. I hope that's not the ground that causes me the problem and it's the signal wire. Don't know what else to think

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
I've encountered a duff knock sensor before. Melted my head and a fresh sensor was the last thing I could think of. I'm guessing they are susceptible to impacts just like regular sensors. Worth a punt if you are sure the wiring is good.

japakos

Member +
Well, I just ordered a couple of new ones and see what happens. I don't want to mess with the wiring as it is intact! I measured the wires and they are good! and I twisted them while doing this. It's not the wire! It's my damn luck that's what it is. 2 in a row and one lasted 4 days.

japakos

Member +
Either the car is playing with me, or I don't know what to say really. I checked the sensor and it wasn't as tight as it's supposed to be so I screwed it back in place tighter. I wrapped around it a wire and connected it to the ground. No CEL , no nothing, no rich condition. Car is driving normal again.. WTF!?!

dac69er

Super Moderator
I wouldn't do that, it will affect it's operation.

Use a Little loctite if you are worried about it coming loose again. But if you do it up and tight it shouldn't come loose, especially as quickly as yours has!?

japakos

Member +
Yes something like loctite. Just to hold it in place. It's not the easiest thing to tight and screw unscrew that thing!