Lets talk guages

lingl9z

Member +
I'm Looking in to getting some guages can anyone point me in the right direction as in what guages are most important, eg boost, water temp, oil temp / pressure, af/r etc and how to wire them up as im sick of paying garages to do things, after being quoted 80+vat to fit a thermostat which i then did in 5mins!

Cheers guys!

munday

Member +
Depends how many gauges you want. If i could have all the ones i wanted it would be oil temp, oil pressure, boost, wideband AFR, EGT, water temp, inlet air temp :p

lingl9z

Member +
Depends how many gauges you want. If i could have all the ones i wanted it would be oil temp, oil pressure, boost, wideband AFR, EGT, water temp, inlet air temp :p

Hehe, whats the most important do you think? i want 3 maybe 4 max?

dac69er

Super Moderator
im going for a boost and afr gauge on the pillar and then possibly a knock sensor display of some sort somewhere.

lingl9z

Member +
im going for a boost and afr gauge on the pillar and then possibly a knock sensor display of some sort somewhere.

yeah thats a good idea, how easy are the sensors to fit? and whered u fit em assuming you know ?

cheers buddy

munday

Member +
Hehe, whats the most important do you think? i want 3 maybe 4 max?

Oil temp - shows when its warmed up enough to give it some beans
Oil Press - shows when its about to expire :p
Boost - Obvious
Wideband AFR - Make sure you are running correct figures

Thats probably the important ones

lingl9z

Member +
Oil temp - shows when its warmed up enough to give it some beans
Oil Press - shows when its about to expire :p
Boost - Obvious
Wideband AFR - Make sure you are running correct figures

Thats probably the important ones

Cheers buddy! -rep-

dac69er

Super Moderator
boost links into a vac pipe or directly into the inlet after the throttle body somewhere.

afr needs to go in the exhaust.

knock sensor attaches to the block and senses the frequency of sounds to determine knock.

lingl9z

Member +
boost links into a vac pipe or directly into the inlet after the throttle body somewhere.

afr needs to go in the exhaust.

knock sensor attaches to the block and senses the frequency of sounds to determine knock.

Cheers buddy do you have a pic of where i could attach boost sensor? the others seem easy enough, chers buddy rep!

dac69er

Super Moderator
most people (including me) just take the boost reading off the bov vac pipe. you can also use the map sensor pipe or the fpr vac pipe.

if you can you could remove the manifold, drill a hole and mount a new nipple in it to take your reading from. depends how far you wanna go.

lingl9z

Member +
most people (including me) just take the boost reading off the bov vac pipe. you can also use the map sensor pipe or the fpr vac pipe.

if you can you could remove the manifold, drill a hole and mount a new nipple in it to take your reading from. depends how far you wanna go.

Ahhh i see so i take it that the vac pipes the pipe that runs off the dump valve to the inlet mani? so stick a t-peice in with a sensor? and wire the guage up2 the cig lighter so it comes on with lights?

dac69er

Super Moderator
pretty much mate.

depending on the gauge you may need a live that comes on with the ignition and then another that works off the lights so it brings the backlight on in the dark.

most gauges will have some instructions. even if they are jap you should be able to decipher the diagrams

lingl9z

Member +
pretty much mate.

depending on the gauge you may need a live that comes on with the ignition and then another that works off the lights so it brings the backlight on in the dark.

most gauges will have some instructions. even if they are jap you should be able to decipher the diagrams

Sweet so its not as hard as it once sounded! already given you rep mate, cheers for the help!

TurboDave

Member +
If you dont plan on going for a big spec I would get, Boost, Oil temperature and Oil pressure gauges as the wideband isnt that easy to install and isnt really needed for everyday use as long as the car is setup on the rollers.

Knock links are easy to install, I done mine in a hour or so and have the knock link display behind my steering wheel on the surround, I dont have a wideband but if things did go bad the knock link should light up like a christmas tree anyway :)