Mad Idling problem!

Mike_ep91

Member +
check all the vac lines on your car there could be one off or split, or you mite need to look at your idle control valve, which is located to the left of your inlet mani looking into the engine bay.

thechomper

Member +
it has to be one of these mate,trust me from experience

things to look at when the idle is high or erratic ,

try adjust the screw on top of the throttle body,it's under a rubber grommet,this can effect the idle ,by increasing it or decreasing it,supposed to be best for the car to be in diagnostic mode

also check for earths ,a bad earth can lead to idle problem

clean idle control valve,it is normal for it to make a tapping noise

also check for any vacum leaks ,or split pipes

also clean the cold start valve ,it is attached underneath the throttle body,has five pipes coming of it ,this has a small thermostat in it ,that can effect the idle.so also give this a good clean,you will need some kind of gasket sealer,to put it back on the throttle body

,could also be throttle postion sensor,is not aligned properly

hope that helps ye mate in finding your problem

now that is the list that can cause idle problems but as Mike said more then likey it is a split pipe or a vacum pipe has came loose so i would look at them options first( because the idle is going up and down)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies lads.
ok, i checked the idle control valve and it was pretty dirty, i also found this small spiral thing inside (not sure what its called) that is a bit broken.
Do i need to buy a whole new idle control valve or can i just get a new one of these?
21012010426.jpg