Made 194???!bhp @ wheels on td04l forged engine

callum

Member +
Right so I got my car mapped 4th time lucky:/. Didn't get anything like what I expected. First il give my engine spec
Forged high comp engine running 195 over all 4
Standard head. Has shims needing slightly adjusted. Did my best with the shims I had about.
Race tec td04 kit tial ewg
Race tec intercooler
Sard rrfpr
Blitz I'd boost controller
Walbro
550 sard injectors.
2 Barr map sensor
LSD box
Toms fly wheel
Power fc

Right so that's my engine spec. So I got it mapped at performance hq by Russ. it produced 200 torques and 194 Bhp at the wheels. Twice it's been on the rollers with little difference with a change of turbo. Basicly I'm dropping out boost in high revs. Il get my dyno graph up. I have a better power range on my low boost setting and feels better in lower gears. It should reach 1.5 Barr. In first I make .8 2nd 1.0 3rd 1.2 4th 1.3 5th 1.47 if going flat out threw the gears. But drops out as it revs. Only ever seen full boost in 4th nd 5th is this right to happen? Or should it make full boost in every gear and hold it straight threw. Il get my map graph up. I ran 14 sec quarter mile and 104.2 mph over line. Was not to happy with that.
Any ideas. Engines getting ripped out to find a slight boost leak I heard at back of engine. And to change box and clutch already haha. Shredded the box on high boost. I only ever hear the ewg on low boost at 1.1 till it looses threw the rev range and no longer hear it.

rage

Lifer
does the turbo spin freely? otherwise it sounds like a boostleak somewhere along the intercooler route

callum

Member +
Yeah mate changed turbo already and found burst injector seal and few wee leaks already. There is a slight leak at back of engine. But only at over 1.1 Barr it leaks. Engine coming out tonight so will pressure everything once it's out in front of the car :) and then il soon find the leak. But don't think it's the cause of the problem. Might add to it. So should I make full boost in every gear and hold basicly most of it the whole way threw the range at 1.5 Barr. Because clearly 194bhp at the wheels is not right for my spec

Murray

Member +
Why you removing the engine?
Look over every join in the turbo system, aswell as the inlet and throttle body itself. You havent got a vacuum line off anywhere on the inlet? Also you will be maxing out a 2 bar map sensor, you need a 3bar. Does it idle ok?
Rorys td04 held boost in every gear no problem. And FWIW dont go expecting huge numbers from PHQ dyno, it is a true heartbreaker.
Check the wastegate and boost controller aswell. Even with 190 whp you should be in the 13s. Looking at your times from the wekend, your 60ft times are pretty pants, well there is a no bad one but you must have backed out or had a problem.

bongskag

Member +
if you had it mapped like this and you suddenly fix the problem it might need another remap , I bet the guy mapping it was scratching his head too ..

have you ran it just on the wastegate spring at all? which spring is installed ? take off the boost controller, and vent the top port on the wastegate to atmosphere , and plumb the bottom port into the compressor housing. bet you it boosts fine then..

callum

Member +
if you had it mapped like this and you suddenly fix the problem it might need another remap , I bet the guy mapping it was scratching his head too ..

have you ran it just on the wastegate spring at all? which spring is installed ? take off the boost controller, and vent the top port on the wastegate to atmosphere , and plumb the bottom port into the compressor housing. bet you it boosts fine then..

it runs 0.62 if the controllers turned off , going to order a bigger spring, im taking th engine out to do the box as well, and do a bit of cleaning in the bay.

wickedep

Trader
try running the kit without a boost controller. blitz ebc's arnt the greatest and in general they do a terrible job in keeping stable boost levels. order yourself a 1.5bar spring and it should boost fine..plumb it like how bongskag mentioned. you can order lower spring rates once your determine what the issue is. except 1st gear..you should get full boost on all gears.

wickedep

Trader
apart from this..it could also be the dyno you are using. but at 1.5bar you should be at the 230-235whp mark....so 200whp is a long way off....sounds like the dyno we have here....true heart breaker...haha!

callum

Member +
Why you removing the engine?
Look over every join in the turbo system, aswell as the inlet and throttle body itself. You havent got a vacuum line off anywhere on the inlet? Also you will be maxing out a 2 bar map sensor, you need a 3bar. Does it idle ok?
Rorys td04 held boost in every gear no problem. And FWIW dont go expecting huge numbers from PHQ dyno, it is a true heartbreaker.
Check the wastegate and boost controller aswell. Even with 190 whp you should be in the 13s. Looking at your times from the wekend, your 60ft times are pretty pants, well there is a no bad one but you must have backed out or had a problem.

i was having issues with my clutch and box on its way out but near the end i just becam alot slower on the changes and all went well, if u look at banzai the last crail i got 14s every run:) but this time alot of my mates had a shot, then it got wet so was never the same again, but got engine out now and will get a few things looked at and sorted,

callum

Member +
apart from this..it could also be the dyno you are using. but at 1.5bar you should be at the 230-235whp mark....so 200whp is a long way off....sounds like the dyno we have here....true heart breaker...haha!

haha yeah as iv been twice for a map now the first time it got mapped it was fine til i left for home then started missing and losing boost, found injector seal leaking and went down for another map and to solve missfire. will try another boot controller and order a new waste gate spring, and see what it dose then.

thanks for the help tho guys:)

i was thinking it may be a low reading dyno as well...we have the same here
but somehow i prefer low readers, as long as the car is driving well on the road and performing as it should the numbers are not really that important

hope you get sorted callum

bongskag

Member +
it runs 0.62 if the controllers turned off , going to order a bigger spring, im taking th engine out to do the box as well, and do a bit of cleaning in the bay.

I think that will sort the problem then, your spring should be atleast 50% of your max boost level anyway. 0.8 or 1.0 bar should be fine :)
like murray said, you need a 3 bar map sensor too .
it should be a beast when its all dialed in right :)

I used a spacer on top of my wastegate spring to increase the pressure , a 5mm spacer took me from 0.65 bar to 0.85 bar. easy way to cheat :) I have an old school turbonetics evolution 38mm so pain in the arse finding springs for it !

callum

Member +
right so guys my engine is out and box off, i then proceeded to take my ewg apart to find what looks like a good 4cm of the diaphram has been folded back and some one has closed the waste gate up on the side of it, meaning the leak was never being found as when i pressured the cooler system the pressure never went past the solinod to the top of the wastegate and the problem never being found am i right?

yeah i got to see it being mapped. well my plan now is if this is it fixed il put my wepr td05 hybrid on and go for another map and get some good figures i hope:)

Murray

Member +
right so guys my engine is out and box off, i then proceeded to take my ewg apart to find what looks like a good 4cm of the diaphram has been folded back and some one has closed the waste gate up on the side of it, meaning the leak was never being found as when i pressured the cooler system the pressure never went past the solinod to the top of the wastegate and the problem never being found am i right?

yeah i got to see it being mapped. well my plan now is if this is it fixed il put my wepr td05 hybrid on and go for another map and get some good figures i hope:)

How was it boosting on the dyno? But by the sound of it you have found your problem.
If i were you i would keep the td04 and have a faster all round car.

Murray