Maybe lsd problems?

Jimbo_driver

Fresh Recruit
Hi, ive recently bought a tercel with a starlet gt engine and stock lsd transmission(fwd setup) in it. Im having a problem wich i think could be the differential but im not sure. In straight line either driving smooth or rough, evrything is ok, no unusual noises. But in turns, the lsd doesnt seem to slip enough and that seems to bring driveshafts to force noises. I checked all the suspension&direction parts and everithing seems to be ok. There is no loose anywhere, no leaks from the ball joint or driveshafts joints(and the two driveshafts are brand new). I think it is the diff because when I lift the car and turn a wheel, the other wheel turns the same way instead of turning a different way. Im really not sure of what could be the source of the problem.

Can someone help me because because the car is my daily driver so im very angry to fix this problem.

sx_turbo

Lifer
it's because you have a limited slip differential, this is common.

it sounds like you dont have the stock lsd, but instead you have an aftermarket one like a cusco, kaaz or trd :)

Jimbo_driver

Fresh Recruit
Isnt it a little bad for the drive shafts? Cause the sounds are relatively loud when i turn. And for me it sounds too loud to be only normal because of the lsd...

Last edited:

sx_turbo

Lifer
change the box oil for some 80w90 with the limited slip additive, and it will quieten down quite a lot.

it will cause no problem to the drive shafts.

if you have a mechanical type lsd (by the sounds of it you have) you need to change the oil every 5000 miles

Jimbo_driver

Fresh Recruit
thanks for the info. iwill look at that. and im already going to change oil for Motul gear 300 75W90. I wil come back with some news when the oil change will be done.

weakboy2

Member +
lol ricky, oilman cleared this up the other day with kaaz themselves, they said fully is fine for a fwd diff.

mineral for a rear seperate differential.

sx_turbo

Lifer
told me different.

fully synthetic makes the diff extremely noisy,

i put semi synthetic in and it's now almost silent and bearable, and locks juast as efficiently

faisalgtturbo

Member +
some diff's are knocking type... cusco racing ones do
if its a aftermarket diff....

they sound like driveshafts/cv joints are buggered.... when turning

faisal