my cars doin my head in , one thing after another

stedee

Member +
i swear its testing my patience so bad, most expensive car ive had yet the most unreliable.

had it remapped cost me 400 quid, i was still getting knock , learned how to use power fc myself and sorted it

hg went

rear caliper seized

head cracked, alternator went at the same time, got a new alternator

now fans on all the time , probably a knackered fan switch

my alternator not charging properly again, only just got home from work, i work nights, it was freezing tonight and i didnt have my phone, i would have been in deep shit if it conked out.

this has all happened in 3 months, i wouldnt mind so much if i hammered it everywhere but i dont and i only use it 3 or 4 days a week

rant over time to get some sleep

turboflow

Member +
may not be the alternator but the battery mate get it checked, your fan will stay on if u have taken aircon off and nnot bridged the switch. im affraid the others are just shit luck mate, i have been there but once you do the rounds of repairs she should be good or a while. oh and the sleep all i can suggest is i order you a nice foriegn lady to rub your back lol

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
sounds crap bud, maybe a series of unfortunate events.. however could also be down to u using a garage which is not 100% good with the eps.. i dunno its just a hunch.. but u may want to take ur car to an auto electrician to make sure whats going on with the electronics ;)

kon

Ian_w

Member +
sounds crap bud, maybe a series of unfortunate events.. however could also be down to u using a garage which is not 100% good with the eps.. i dunno its just a hunch.. but u may want to take ur car to an auto electrician to make sure whats going on with the electronics ;)

kon

Yeah man i know what you mean. That Jim Carrey, hes a right c***.

series.jpg

Last edited:

stedee

Member +
i do the work myself, and have bridged the aircon etc, and i`m no proffessional but ive been tatting with cars for 20 odd years, yesterday because my fan was on it was using more electric so that was just what i wanted with a dodgy charging system, i know its my alternator btw cos your car will run without a battery once started and ive checked with a multimeter.
i`m gonna change the belt 1st and hope its just the belt crusty and not gripping properly - twas a bit worn

fingers crossed

KrissyB

Member +
true for diesels not petrols mate.

with comments like this i question your mechanical ability?

Surely just put the Multi-metre on the Battery terminals and if it's not showing around 14.7volts, I believe then something isn't right as your alternator should produce slightly more voltage than a batteries 12volts to give the battery a charge.:rolleyes:

Correct, well thats the way I was shown and its always worked for me :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
Surely just put the Multi-metre on the Battery terminals and if it's not showing around 14.7volts, I believe then something isn't right as your alternator should produce slightly more voltage than a batteries 12volts to give the battery a charge.:rolleyes:

yeah thats right.

but he said the car dont need a battery once it is started so he defo knows it's his alternator.

which is wrong. this only works for old diesels.

stedee

Member +
try it and find out for yourself, ive had to do it on loads of cars, started the car with a good battery take it off while running and then put a flat battery on to charge it up.

if it cuts out when you take the battery off your alternator is shagged as i found out.

stedee

Member +

correct but 14.7 is quite alot more, i didnt know what power the alternator should give out though,

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
correct but 14.7 is quite alot more, i didnt know what power the alternator should give out though,

45amps over 14v on idle, normal cruising around etc anything over 13v :)

kon

imavisitor

Fresh Recruit
Have had cars in the past with what appeared to be alternator and or battery faults, turned out to be an earth problem.

No signs of problem, battery showing full charge, alternator giving out charge, yet problem still there.

Take earths of clean them all up, even spray wd/etc etc down leads.

May be nothing more than that.:)

KrissyB

Member +
Have had cars in the past with what appeared to be alternator and or battery faults, turned out to be an earth problem.

No signs of problem, battery showing full charge, alternator giving out charge, yet problem still there.

Take earths of clean them all up, even spray wd/etc etc down leads.

May be nothing more than that.:)

Dont quote me on 14.7 volts exactly its probably like 13.7 the last car i did this on was an R5 GTT which shows how long ago it was

stedee

Member +
only cars with no ecu's etc etc

bleeding hell -just take your battery lead off yourself and find out, or do you want me to take a video, i havent had a car without an ecu for about 15 years.

oh and i sorted it the belt must have been shagged

KrissyB

Member +
bleeding hell -just take your battery lead off yourself and find out, or do you want me to take a video, i havent had a car without an ecu for about 15 years.

oh and i sorted it the belt must have been shagged

Glad you sorted it with the old 6 step technique find the easiest solution first then work your way away from the source of the problem.

rickie

Member +
I also have the same issue. New engine, new springs and shocks, new battery, new alternator, new clutch. All in the last 6 months. But i just love it, hopeully it'll be alright now for a while.