My Experience - Always Take CASH

Well after trying to sell my van on the WWW and not having much luck apart from usual suspects of queries I put it up locally, and to my astonishment an old farm worker guy (60+ yrs old) phoned me up, looked at it and gave me £50 deposit (Via cheque which cleared) to secure the sale and I was asked to wait until he recieved a bereavement cheque to clear before I got the rest, Which I agreed to. Anyways on Sunday I get a call, can I bring the van to him, which I do with all documents etc... He comes out empty handed, well so I thought until he brings a "CHEQUE" for the amount I required. I told him Id give him the van when the cheque had cleared but he gave me a cock & bull story of his old van H/G had blown and he needed transport for the next day, so because he seemed genuine, local to me (30 miles away) and lives basically next door to my mum I agreed to give him the van with the understanding if the cheque did not clear I would lift the van, which he agreed to but re-instated the fact it would clear etc etc... Anyways on Monday I get a call saying that he could not get the door locks to lock, even though they worked with me for over a year, and he said he had 5 other people look at the locks and they couldnt lock the van, so until this problem was solved he would cancel the cheque. Now at this point, I was in Aberdeen in the lorry, my mum was in France, so no-one could help him out, but I clearly said to him when I get home, which should have been tomorrow, I would come straight down and show them how to locl the van as a lot of PUG vans have stiff locks. Anyways on Tues I checked my account and his cheque seemed to have cleared as we are within the same branch, I checked again on Wed and it was still there, I check today and there has been a withdrawal for the amount he paid and under the description tab on my onlnie banking it said "NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE" so I phoned the bank and they told me that teh issuer has cancelled. Luckily I was home and went straight down without phoning them lifted the van and dropped it off at my mums until it gets re-insured. I then went to the door about 30 mins later when I cooled down and his squint eyed wife said "OH WAIT & I WILL GET ROGER" with my reply being "DONT FCUKING BOHER< I WILL JUST TAKE THE OTHER KEY AND SERVICE BOOKS/RECEIPTS BACK AS I HAVE LIFTED THE VAN".

I thought I was doing the old guy a favour.

Thing that annoys me he told me to save any arguments hed cancel the cheque until I fixed the locks. I dont see why tht would save arguments, he was lucky I didnt phone the police, or worse for himknock his fcuking door down, ripped his hearing aid out his ear and sat him on the train track shouting "WATCH OUT MR A TRAINS COMING" :mad::flame: or stick the head into his squint eyed wife... Also on Monday I cancelled my insurance which I lost £100 out on as the have a £35 admin charge and a £65 SHORT TERM FEE, which to me both are utter shite, but its gone.. Although I have kept his £50 deposit.

Anyways if your selling, take cash, even if the cheque has cleared id still worry as his seemed to have cleared but was yet still cancelled. The amount he owed was in my bank, my balance was up the amount he gave me.

Rant over, im now calm.

gv1.3

Admin
Even if you take cash make sure its all legitimate currency. Too many people have arrived at the bank to deposit their money from a sale and found out the notes were dodgy.

tom_hunt

Member +
Thats what does my head in about old people. If we did that to them the police would be knocking on the door asking what the fucks going on and get done for it!

Bastards mate the lot of um! And they wonder why they get no respect given to them!

Tom

Best of it is we brought van back to my mums and instantly locked it withn 5 mins so dunno if he was cummin thecunt or was actually thick.. To think him cancelling the cheque would save arguments is beyond me. If it wasnt for his age and fact hes half disabled I would have levelled his wrinkly self into an early grave. I now have to fork out for more insurance unless i can sell the van quick but its far too good a van to have lying around.

well all old people are not all bad lol!
but yea i know a fair few of them are bastards!

count yourself VERY LUCKY you got your van back. In cases like this the old man could of reported it stolen (if it was signed into his name) and it would be his word against yours that he paid you full for it in cash or something

I kept teh V5 and a key until i cleared + the fact the cheque in his name was paid into my account but cancelled by issuer being him. I only done this as he was local, my mum knew him and lived the corner.. I wouldnt have done it otherwise..

Jay

Admin
In God we trust. Everyone else pays cash. :D

Just glad you got the van back and ended the dealings immediately. That could have dragged out and gotten nasty.