my new integra type r

fergalb

Member +
4770800033a7512303106b937483045l.jpg

wat do ye think of my new car bought this last thursday night wat a car has a spoon ecu and v tec starts at 4700rpm and goes all the way to 9300rpm

Last edited:

Idrees

Banned
That looks lovely! I bet it goes well too.

You sure the VTEC kicking in at 4700 is an advantage though? You tried it at 5500rpm?

fergalb

Member +
v tec

its a dual stage v tec kicks in at 4700 and then fully at 6000 and then it just keeps going ya its a savage car to go cuz its got toda cams too and loads more

Dan3SGTE

Member +
thats a mean machine, love it mate.

Vtec kicking in earlier is an advantage as its power build up starts earlier on making it more drivable without having to rev the absolute nuts off it.....

Drove a 2.2 Prelude a little while ago and didnt start till 6K.. Was shit! fast when it did but so sluggish before hand. 4.7K is good.

Idrees

Banned
its a dual stage v tec kicks in at 4700 and then fully at 6000 and then it just keeps going ya its a savage car to go cuz its got toda cams too and loads more
Awesome machines, sat in one last summer and loved every second of it! Toda cams you say? I demand videos!!

Vtec kicking in earlier is an advantage as its power build up starts earlier on making it more drivable without having to rev the absolute nuts off it.....
Not always an advantage though, someone I know had it set at 3500rpm and it was shit (Civic). Set it back to 5500rpm and it was just nice!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Can you explain what you mean by shit idrees? Feeling shit and actually being slower are two different things though. Performance wise i cant say for any logics why it would be a disadvantage?

fergalb

Member +
toda

ah lad it frightens the shit out of me have all ready pissed all over a wrx and a gsr lancer wud highly recomend them ther some car and are a dream to drive with the red recaros savage car to handle too struts every were

fergalb

Member +
Awesome machines, sat in one last summer and loved every second of it! Toda cams you say? I demand videos!!

Not always an advantage though, someone I know had it set at 3500rpm and it was shit (Civic). Set it back to 5500rpm and it was just nice!

3500rpm is not good for it you wud need a propper ecu like the spoon one i have not thease stupid v tec conntrollers

dantheman

Member +
vtec should be left where it is as honda intended imo they obviously found it was best at 5.5k or wherever it is, bet you loose top end bringing it down earlier. theres always a con to a pro. :p

sx_turbo

Lifer
nice car dude.

@idrees, was there any other mods done to that civic, or was the vtec just told to turn on earlier in the rev range?

cos vtec on hondas is like having a turbo. you cant just simply whack the vtec down and hope it does wonders, it needs the correct fuelling done aswell, and ignition etc etc.

just saying as that may well be the reason it ran "shit"

Idrees

Banned
It had breathing mods and apparently was tuned to 172bhp. I don't know all the in's and out's but the owner just said he thought it was best at what Honda set it at.

But obviously that was just his set up!

Rory

Lifer
Leave the Vtec where Honda put it. Simple.

Unless you can compensate for fueling and ignition, and a cam profile that will work below that stated figure, then your losing power.

SaRfI

Member +
nice car mate.

what spec is she 96 or 98?

and as you mentioned you have the spoon "ecu" and vtec kicked at 4300 rpm, actually as far as i know on spoon ecu V-Tec Point 5,100`5,400 and the Rev. Limit 9,000 ,so you must have other mods to your car if she is going all the way to 9300 rpm or else the needled must be moving Quicker.:homer:

Vtec profile only works with high RPM! so lowering the vtec You will lose so much low down torque and power when you shift the vtec that low.

and lads vtec defiantly should be left as Honda sets them as few of ya stated above. or if you do want vtec to kick in earlier you must make few changes to Ignition timing and fuel mapping needs precision dyno tuning. Simply telling your ecu to engage vtec at a lower RPM without ignition and fuel system modification actually causes you to run LEAN, not RICH, thus GREATLY increasing the RISK of "detonation." No offense, ;)

However vtec is not meant to add alot of power, it just adds top end grunt for just that little bit more to give a nicer pull, Honda manufactured vtec to be up there so that it IS NOT used on every shift.

Vtec essentially changes the duration of the lifters of intake and exhaust. Proportionally to the duration that a lifter is open on the intake/exhaust side... more flow or more air/charge more air means for fuel can be consumed, more consumed fuel means more powa!!!:D

h3ppy

Member +
lovely car mate, always had a soft spot for them!

i think the reason behind leavin the v tec where it is is somethin to do wit the oil? wen v tec kicks in it needs more or somethin, and lowerin it makes the v tec run without how much it needs? as you can tell by that description i dont no the ins and outs of it, but i think that has somethin to do wit it?

SaRfI

Member +
Performance wise i cant say for any logics why it would be a disadvantage?

i would say that Honda put vtec at 6k rpm for a reason! if you lower it all the way to 4k the car is not gonna be really breathing enough so you wouldn't get the performance gain you might think!

Derek

Lifer
i have a teg aswell and personally dont like it, i know there great cars and all but i find them really boring to drive tbh.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
i would say that Honda put vtec at 6k rpm for a reason! if you lower it all the way to 4k the car is not gonna be really breathing enough so you wouldn't get the performance gain you might think!

What i was trying to say is if tuned correctly and mapped up for the cam change over to be sooner then it wouldnt be a disadvantage as such.... Doing a modification like that to your engine is dramatic and requires precise tuning to go along with it.....

But yeah i do see your point completely... If i bought a Vtec engine the last thing i would be concidering is to reduce its lift to a lower RPM.....

Not something i would do....