Newbie looking to buy a starlet turbo

jasonsweb99

Fresh Recruit
Hi im new to the forums, im looking to buy a starlet GT turbo glanza in the next couple of months. i was just wondering if any one can give me a bit of info on the cars, eg- common problems, quality of bodywork like do they rust, are they reliable?, fuel consumption, security and service intervals. If anyone can give me some info it will be much appriciated, because i think this is my next motor! :quadgt: :p

Cheers Jason

Auto EP82

Lifer
hi ya m8 my advice would be to do your research on this site b4 you buy thats the mistake i made. Buy a standard 1 atleast you no then that n e mods that has been done has been done properly.I service every 5 thousand miles.

Auto EP82

Lifer
ive been told that as standard they are realy reliable,fuel as standard they are suposed to do bout 30mpg but driving average you can get more.try and get a gt/glanza with as little miles as you can aford.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
to start with mate gt turbo and glanza are two different cars :) there both starlets tho.

yeah there very reliable cars if looked after properly,

mpg is pretty good but obviously it depends how you drive also.

most people generally do an oil change every 3,000 miles

starbogt

Member +
welcome to the site.

What sort of budget do you have for a starlet?
also are you after a glanza or starlet gt etc

I have a friend who's selling his black Quadlight gt turbo very soon.

jasonsweb99

Fresh Recruit
what is the difference between a gt turbo and a glanza?, body styling or is there more?. umm budget would be about £4000. i was going to go german for my second car and get a mk4 golf gt tdi, but this car is much more appealing. im a mechanic so oil changes are no prob. also is there n e probs with mot, tax or n e thing beeing as they are imported?

Jas

Auto EP82

Lifer
The gt are older than the glanzas both got the same engine as far as i no the glanza its just a newer version of the gt. With 4 grand you will be able to get a realy tidy 1 m8 i payed 3 grand 4 mine.

stuart

Member +
Tax isn't too bad, insurance is a killer depending on age as its an import must be insured as import...not a 1.3 Starlet GLi or whatever.

As long as you take care of it, it will run forever...if you start modding it, do things properly, read on here for endless hours for information... (I'm getting the cal fullstop bug...lol :homer:)

Welcome to the site, happy posting.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
They do what they say on the tin at the end of the day, quick little turbo-charged hatchback... Being Toyota's, they're very reliable, so just look for the obvious signs of trouble.

The GT is the older version, the Glanza the newer version. Galnza weighs a wee bit more but you'd never notice on the road. As for problems with MOT, Tax etc, once they're on the road, they're the same as any other car.

jasonsweb99

Fresh Recruit
im 19 and had an insurance quote from elephant for a decent-ish price of £1200, considering what these lil cars are lol and this will b my second car. and is there any one who converts the speedo to mph?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
......Think the Glanzas come with a restriction in 1st & 2nd gears as well to keep it from spinning or sumthing, think this can be sorted out tho.
Depends what kinda car you like mate, with £4000 you can get a nice little Starlet Gt and do some mods with the leftover cash. Maybe just minor mods like lower it, brakes etc. security if it dosent have that already. Probably the best way to start ........ welcome BTW :)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
im 19 and had an insurance quote from elephant for a decent-ish price of £1200, considering what these lil cars are lol and this will b my second car. and is there any one who converts the speedo to mph?

If not, then you can get a speedo cable converter thing that makes it read in MPH, costs around £60-70 i think mate.

TRD EP82

Fresh Recruit
does any 1 know the difference between a GT and GT advance.
do they both have adjustable turbo? and is the insurance alot more on the advanced?:gt-logo

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Na mate, the same. Think the advance just have momo steering wheel, gear knob etc. different bumper colours etc. I own an advance and was no difference on insurance. Comes under EP82 GT turbo as normal. :)

jasonsweb99

Fresh Recruit
cheers guys, quite impressed with this forum, can tell it is goin to be a big help in helpin me with the new motor when i get it. so security like an alarm is a big yes? i guess thievin lil pri*ks know whats under the bonnet of these things? and how to get into them.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Glad you found it helpful. Alarm/immobilsier is a must. Gives ya piece of mind when you leave your pride and joy lol ...............:)

TRD EP82

Fresh Recruit
Na mate, the same. Think the advance just have momo steering wheel, gear knob etc. different bumper colours etc. I own an advance and was no difference on insurance. Comes under EP82 GT turbo as normal. :)

rite cheers m8,
do u know if the GT has adjustable boost?:gt-logo