No Boost, Help!

Rosco

Member +
Fitted a Hybrid CT9 about a month ago. I have only been running it at 0.5Bar as I wanted to get a few other things changed before getting the car setup on an R+R. It has been boosting fine until 2 days again.

On this day I removed the standard intake piping and front mounted my filter. I've taken the filter completely off to rule out it causing any restriction with no difference.
I've check all boost/vacum hoses and all appear to be tight/sealed.
Pulled on the actuator rod and it springs back to place.
Inspected my BOV (Apexi) and all looks ok although I haven't taken it off to check if its possibly stuck open.
Car has developed a slight puff of white smoke after sitting for a few mins.

Currently running:
Hybrid CT9
Wepr FMIC
Std Actuator but its been holding steady so far
Blitz Nur Spec Back box and Downpipe incl de-cat but still std centre section (car was booked in tomorrow to get this centre section changed)
RRFPR

Anyone got any suggestions what it could be or what else to check?

Could it be that moving the filter has free'd up a restriction and now the std actuator can't hold the boost so the wastegate is sticking open?

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible.

jezza

Lifer
While your air filter is off, spin the compressor blade and check for shaft play. Can't imagine it would be the turbo if it's just been fitted.

If you need to borrow a dv to check if that might be the cause gimme a shout.

Rosco

Member +
59bhp: It bearly gets passed 0 psi now. Dumps very slightly and can hear a very small amount of wastegate chatter.

Jezza: The shaft spins freely, didn't check for side to side or back and forth play so will give that a try after work. Might need to take you up on that offer of a DV to make sure.

sx turbo: I'll try that afterwork if I can.

Any more ideas anyone?

jezza

Lifer
Can you hear the turbo spooling ok?

Is the piston on the apexi dv visible? Give the engine some throttle from inside the engine bay and see if it is moving properly and listen/feel for boost leak around the intercooler piping.

Gilly2006

Member +
if its not boosting properly, and there is no shaft play and all the hoses are on correctly, there could be a possibility that the turbo has been improperly balanced.

Rosco

Member +
If I can remember correctly I don't think I could hear any whooshing at all.

When first fitted you could hear the abvious spool of the turbo but now nothing. When the filter was on you could hear it trying to draw air through the filter.

Don't finish work till 5pm so if the rains off I'll try all the above else it'll be tomorrow morning. I'll strip all the intercooler hosing/piping and inspect every inch of it.

Rosco

Member +
Checked for shaft play and I can't feel any.

I haven't taken of the downpipe to inspect the wastegate yet as I don't have and spanners.

Took of the BOV completely and it made no difference expect for some slight chatter.

Can't find any rips, tears or leaks.

When reving up at a stand still I get alot of smoke. I do hear small rattle but can't tell where its coming from but i've never revved the car up like this before so it could have always be there.

Heres a video of the smoke:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5EizH3FG_oY

If anyone local fancys a quick look be my guest!

is the dump valve located beside the inlet manifold on your intercooler piping..?
maybe your intercooler is blocked somehow?
- only a suggestion!

jezza

Lifer
Rosco, I'll be helping a mate strip his merc this afternoon if you wanted to come along and I'll have a gander. We will be there around 2. Will be parked up on the street down past the transport museum and take a right. I'll PM my mobile number.