Oil Cooler Stat... In line V Thermostatic plate?

Fro

Member +
As above, pros/cons? I know the thermostatic plate doesnt fully close, letting a small amount of oil pass through the cooler, meaning some people finding their oil is over cooled on normal driving. Would a smaller matrix help with this? Say 10 row instead of 13? Or not mounting it right at the front of the car?
As for the inline stat, which i thought might be a better idea, hopefully resolving the above overcooling problem, Surely when the stat is closed there is oil trapped in the core getting colder and colder till the stat opens and the thick cold oil gets rushed into the engine? Is that likely to have any adverse effects?(unless thats not how they work!?) And would the sudden opening cause any change in pressure?

Sorry for the essay, but thanks for any advice :kiss:

weeJohn

Lifer
I have an HKS oil relocation with a stat in it and it has a small hole that always bypasses a little oil around the cooler.

Fro

Member +
Aye ok, cheers
do you have any Over cooling issues with daily driving or is your car mostly tracked?
It's the Mocal ones I've been looking at, unsure if their inline ones have that feature, I'll have to try find out!

pig666eon

Member +
they will bypass a small amount of oil but its minimal so you wont notice it anyway

if its a open system then the oil will defo be overcooled esp over here in this weather, unless it was only a trackday car otherwise a thermo is highly recomended