oil pressure switch

J

*JO*

hi all. just wondering if someone could help me out. my oil light keeps coming on at random times-there is nothing wrong with the amount of oil the car has and once i leave her cool down i can drive for miles. been advised its the oil pressure switch. was just wondering how hard it was to change as managed to grab some help :) and is it easy to access???

any help would be greatful. thank you.x

p.s she a 1990 starlet gt turbo G reg.

J

*JO*

well i checked da oil and the level was full and when the light came on i panicked and top it up again so was def full i drove it bout 5miles and light came on again. so i parked it outside my mates left her cool down and then drove it 30miles home and was fine. hence confused.x

GTdan

In The Closet
could be a faulty sensor as you said, but usually if the light comes on its either low engine oil level (which its not) or low pressure in the engine - hows the car running?

J

*JO*

normally she aint running any different. even when the oil light comes on she dont lose any power she runs the same. x

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
low oil pressure doesn't necessarily mean low oil!

replacing the switch will be made easier by removing the Cat/downpipe from the turbo.

but it might not be the switch, the only sure fire way would be to fit an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and see what pressure you've actually got.

J

*JO*

i just wnt it sorted so i can drive the car. im worried about driving it with the light on. just want to know if the switch is easy to change and where on da engine it is located ??x

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
DSCN1334.jpg

J

*JO*

i really dont understand. sorry im really thick im learning about the car day by day so i dont get it. whats a down pipe? and why i need to remove it?x

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
check the picture, the switch is circled, the downpipe is the pipe in front of it. if you have a catalytic converter then there will be a large cast iron cannister in place of that pipe coming off the turbo in the picture, making getting at the switch (again, circled in the pic) difficult

:)

J

*JO*

i dont think i have any convertor and when my mate looked he look the opposite side to the car to the side you got circled.x

J

*JO*

will it damage the car driving around with the light on then? oh i thought he could change it in about half an hour. he said it was straight forward and seeing he works in a jap garage down here i believed him x

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
it is fairly straightforward for a mechanic.

it most certainly will damage the car with light on if the sender is accurate, hence why i suggested an auxilary oil pressure gauge to confirm if the pressure is indeed low or not.