Proper roll cages

Fatman

Member +
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of designing my cage and am hoping to collect some images of caged EP's for some inspiration. At this point I'm thinking main hoop + single diagonal plus harness bar, rear hoop single braced, X door bars and stubs through the firewall to the strut towers

Anybody out there with some photos of their cages?

Please note I don't mean bolt in rubbish that bends like a banana to spare the dash

riko666

Member +
Search for the track EP82 in the Carribbean somewhere, one of the few cars with a proper rollcage

Chris@CCM

Member +
ballymena013ip1.jpg

Fatman

Member +
Thanks a lot Riko, that car is certainly pretty serious, would love some closeups of the cagework but from what I can see it's actually pretty similar to what I'm visualising for my own car.

GTti

Member +
What material, have you thought about weight?

That looks more complex than alot of the touring and rally cars, it's an EP :p Unless you went for T45 that would be very heavy, easily 60+ KG.

I'm thinking about selling my cage and going full weld in, the guy I used for my bodywork works with rally cars. I may go for a simple T45 setup.

My cage is about 30KG btw, CDS.

Last edited:

Fatman

Member +
Definitely not 60+kg... will be built to local motorsport regulations, so 1.5" seamless mild steel tubing. As a semi educated guess I would say something in the region of 35-45kg.

My car currently weighs in at 740kg dry, my goal was always 800kg ready to race so I think I'll be about bang on.

As for why.. well I'd rather not take any chances. 260+km/h three cars wide into a 55km/h hairpin, lots can potentially go wrong... if it does there's no way I want a cage with inadequate triangulation for the sake of a few KG!

Fatman

Member +
Thanks a lot Ian, if only he had posted a shot of the engine bay! I'm curious to see what he did with the front strut towers.

sx_turbo

Lifer
custom cages in the uk already make a cage for the ep82 that looks like what u have drawn.

they can also provide an FIA certificate if needed

GTti

Member +
Definitely not 60+kg... will be built to local motorsport regulations, so 1.5" seamless mild steel tubing. As a semi educated guess I would say something in the region of 35-45kg.

My car currently weighs in at 740kg dry, my goal was always 800kg ready to race so I think I'll be about bang on.

As for why.. well I'd rather not take any chances. 260+km/h three cars wide into a 55km/h hairpin, lots can potentially go wrong... if it does there's no way I want a cage with inadequate triangulation for the sake of a few KG!

Have you checked your national motorsport regulations? 1.5mm (I hope you mean mm and not inches) is very thin for cold drawn seamless tubing, T45 is stronger and will alow a thinner thickness to save weight. I'm sure MSA regulations specify that main tubing should be at least 2mm to 2.5mm for CDS.

My cage is CDS and weighs 30KG, your design will weigh alot more than 35KG, deffinately 45kg or more. If you want to go all out then get T45, I've played around with a few samples from Saftey Devices and it's much lighter.

On the engine bay, just get it seam welded.