question about ppl with carbon bonnets

Aga

Member +
what kind of reinforcements do your bonnets have underneath? the original toyota metal ones? same ones built from fibreglass? full carbon?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
from what iv seen they look exactly like the oem re-inforces but made from carbon

riko666

Member +
Full carbon is very rare - usually you'll find they are carbon-fibre skins laid over a Fiberglass framework. Some may even utilise a Carbon Fibre framework, metal though outweighs the weight benefits.

The best type of hood to go for is a Dry Carbon Sandwich Hood, which makes do without the resin which renders Wet Carbon so brittle and relatively weak, by using layers of dry carbon with an aramid layer in between. These are strong enough to not deform or need reinforcing frames, at the cost of not having the "Shiny Lustre" of Wet Carbon.

Aga

Member +
riko what you say is inaccurate. all carbon cloths need resin, its just that the ones you mention are called "prepreg" and they come with resin inside, which needs heat to be released and thats why the products get cured in an oven, under pressure. final finish has nothing to do with the process of construction, its up to the manufacturer. i can build you a totally matte bonnet, a medium shiny one, or a mirror finished, all without the use of laquer...

riko666

Member +
meh, I need to read up on it again, was a very long time ago when I did, but you know what I mean

ep_chen

Member +
was reading the posts above & just wondered, could it be done if a layer of carbon sheet be laid over the our metal bonnet & then gloss covered? i know it defies the weight benefit but if its just for cosmetics purposes. Could this be done?

Aga

Member +
was reading the posts above & just wondered, could it be done if a layer of carbon sheet be laid over the our metal bonnet & then gloss covered? i know it defies the weight benefit but if its just for cosmetics purposes. Could this be done?

yes it can. however the finish will not be as good as a molded bonnet, for a variety of reasons. also, due to fabrication issues related with the process, the man hours needed to get a straight and glossy finish will bring the cost near to that of a whole bonnet.

Last edited:

Aga

Member +
varis bonnet comes with fibreglass reinforcements, what you thinking of donig Aga? ;)

We are in the process of opening up shop, carbon fabrications ,chassis reinforcements, and electronics... we're considering on making two kinds of each bonnet, one "street" version, which is what 99% of the market offers, carbon skin, with fiberglass under structure and fiberglass oem look reinforcements, and a "race" version which will be focusing on light weight and will be full carbon. of course that will be more expensive, but what you pay is what you get... The styles of the bonnets and other products will be like nothing offered so far, new and functional designs. When things get rolling, cause we are in the process of moving our equipment to the shop, depending on demand i will buy a trader package here...

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
We will be purchasing a full carbon for starters Alex maybe we can import a few pending quality. Will you consider other models as well? We've looked into dry carbon over here but materials are not that cheap at present..

T

riko666

Member +
Alex, I'm presuming but I believe you may have someone asking you for a carbon hood for a Paseo...if that's the case then I'll surely be interested, but as aforementioned, I'd only go for a full dry carbon unit, regardless of cost

Aga

Member +
to make dry carbon you need an autoclave guys :)... and metallic molds which cost upwards of 7000 dollars. how's that for a cost riko :D... only aerospace ,formula etc use that kind. for example a dry carbon bodywork on a superbike is sold retail for 6.000usd.

currently on our plans is :
glanza S bonnet, glanza S with reverse vents, glanza V, GT, paseo normal or with reverse vent (like seen on some jdm integras style) 2,5-3cm wider front fenders with vent, sideskirts, carbon jam eyelids, '96 front spoiler, glanza rear bumper spoiler ,full front underbody diffuser, side cam cover, fusebox cover and lots more stuff...

yes riko i've spoken with our mutual friend about the paseo, don't worry it's in the plans.

toby i dont know what you mean about other models, but we have orders for evo8, subaru and cosworth stuff...and some bike stuff too.

riko666

Member +
.....gulp.....better start saving the pennies then

Bah that's fine then - when's the timescale for having everything setup? I'm pretty sure I'm confusing Dry Carbon with a Carbon sandwich structure, as in Carbon - aramid - carbon...cause I know it wasn't THAT expensive...damnit, where's that site