Rcd keeps tripping in mainboard

lingl9z

Member +
Anyone have any idea why the rcd on the fusebox keeps tripping out? All my fridge, freezer and all sockets keep tripping after 5 - 20 secs, I've now unplugged everything except fridge n freezer as I can't get to them and Its still tripping? Any ideas?

Rich

dac69er

Super Moderator
will most likely be the fridge or freezer i would imagine ;)

if not you have a wiring fault, but that unlekely unless you have mice or a damp problem somewhere.

lingl9z

Member +
Hmm thanks mate, the landlords on holiday so kind of stuck, guess I may have to rip the fridge freezer unit apart to get behind where the plugs are! Tbh the wiring here seems poop, upstairs if you switch a light on or off the tv goes blank for 5 secs hmm! If I was to call a sparky should I be able to get money back from landlord?

dac69er

Super Moderator
not a clue mate. never rented.
depends on your agreement, some landlords may get shitty if you go behind their back.

the tv problem just sounds like an electric cable is running right next to the aerial cable. the power surge just throws the signal for a second.

i would get everything unplugged first. that rules out the appliances. im suprised they have been installed in such a way that you can get to the sockets easily. would have thought that would be a bit dangerous???

J25GTi

Lifer
Don't see why its dangerous? If a fault occurs the rcd trips out. So they don't need to be accessible!

Get everything unplugged. Also turn all the lights off if the rcd is the main switch. Or do you have a split load board?
not a clue mate. never rented.
depends on your agreement, some landlords may get shitty if you go behind their back.

the tv problem just sounds like an electric cable is running right next to the aerial cable. the power surge just throws the signal for a second.

i would get everything unplugged first. that rules out the appliances. im suprised they have been installed in such a way that you can get to the sockets easily. would have thought that would be a bit dangerous???

lingl9z

Member +
Cheers for that seems dangerous to me aswell rather strange! Typical really guess I'll get to the plugs at some point see if it still does it, if it does then I assume the mainboard or wiring Is faulty somewhere!

lingl9z

Member +
Its split mate down stairs and upstairs have there on trips, then cooker, then smoke alarm, then rcd which only has sockets, then the main trip only the rcds tripping out leaving lights, cooker and smoke alarm working!

J25GTi

Lifer
So you have a non-rcd main switch 80amp. Which has fire alarm lights cooker etc?

Then an rcd which just has the sockets? Is it an rcd main switch (a big sort of like single unit) then a gap and a normal circuit breaker for the sockets.

Or is it an rcbo? Looks like a normal circuit breaker but with a test button.

If your split board has an individual rcd and a few circuit breakers after it make sure everything is isolated on those circuits and turn it on one at a time.

Also make sure you physically unplug the items. Not just turn the sockets off!

J25GTi

Lifer
That's probably where the problem is then, or a wiring issue/knackered rcd. Unfortunately I'm not close enough to actually come and look at it for you!

A wiring fault could knacker the rcd if they haven't used the correct rated one etc!

lingl9z

Member +
eed78ac2.jpg

That's the breaker mate and the switch that's down is the one that keeps tripping out with the little test button :(

J25GTi

Lifer
Right every socket requires unplugging, and every switch fuse spur turning off. Any outside sockets etc?

J25GTi

Lifer
Right the possibilities are -

Fridge or freezer broken.
Rcd fucked.
Earth fault

Eitherway mate. You've got a problem. And need to store your food somewhere! Cos I don't see it been fixed tonight!

dan_ep82

Member +
right, turn off those 3 mcbs that do the sockets,

does the rcd still trip?

if not turn each circuit back on untill it does, let us know if one circuit trips it

lingl9z

Member +
Strange it's back on and not tripped yet, will wait and see how long it is until it trips again ! Then I'll go through the mcbs and report back!

dan_ep82

Member +
no problem, if you do get another tripping problem, do you have a socket on your cooker switch? if so you could run an extension lead from there to power your important things

dan

J25GTi

Lifer
Good advice right there. Me been a bit slow due to illness there.

right, turn off those 3 mcbs that do the sockets,

does the rcd still trip?

if not turn each circuit back on untill it does, let us know if one circuit trips it