Relocating Air filter

Lornce

Member +
is there any way to relocate the air filter off a hybrid without removing the a/c??

i beleive the standard efi pipe wont fit the hybrid, so i will relocate the air filter but i wanna keep the a/c!

any ideas?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
If you cut out some of the chassis leg then yes, not an easy job though get rid of the A/C! Alternative to this is to relocate behind the O/S headlight, won't get as much cool air but anything is better than the stock inlet track running over the manifold! :)

Best Regards,

Toby

tom_hunt

Member +
My mate stuck his air filter where the o/s headlight is. He also took out the fog light and had some air intake coming from there up to the filter. HE reckens it works fine but I couldnt comment on it 100%

Tom

Lornce

Member +
so not good news then!

i think iv heard some people say you can cut a little gap through the a/c radiator? is this true?

and rep for you all!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, rep madness!!!! lol

Big_Daddy

Member +
Wouldnt recommned cutting the a/c rad, this could cause leaks, IMO put the piping around it or remove the air con.

Lornce

Member +
fair enough!

i think il try and see if i can squeeze it in somewhere or if that doesn;t work the a/c with have to come out!

sx_turbo

Lifer
If you cut out some of the chassis leg then yes, not an easy job though get rid of the A/C! Alternative to this is to relocate behind the O/S headlight, won't get as much cool air but anything is better than the stock inlet track running over the manifold! :)

Best Regards,

Toby

what chassis leg?

next to the air con rad there is a small gap.

the gap is filled with the front panel. this is not a structual part of the car at all and you can cut it without causing any problems.

you will need a length of flexible tubing 51 mm in diameter.

a reducer from 51mm to 45mm, a hks air filter, (must be the small one though) make sure its the the 70mm out put one though. you will need to get the necessary reducer for this aswell, i cant remember what it was now.

and it will fit.

i know because i have done this and have ran it fine for 3 months now.

the air filter does get wet when it rains, but its no problem justy means you have cooler denser air :D

or you could do what I done here -
skyline037.jpg

Lornce

Member +
what chassis leg?

next to the air con rad there is a small gap.

the gap is filled with the front panel. this is not a structual part of the car at all and you can cut it without causing any problems.

you will need a length of flexible tubing 51 mm in diameter.

a reducer from 51mm to 45mm, a hks air filter, (must be the small one though) make sure its the the 70mm out put one though. you will need to get the necessary reducer for this aswell, i cant remember what it was now.

and it will fit.

i know because i have done this and have ran it fine for 3 months now.

the air filter does get wet when it rains, but its no problem justy means you have cooler denser air :D

Sx i like your thinking! i shall try this and see if i can fit it in.

sx_turbo

Lifer
actually just realised you have a glanza, i'm not sure if it will work on a glanza.

take your bumper off and see.

How much bhp u can get when u relocate ur air filter between the bumper and the rad thnx

pending on everything else espaecially what boost you are running etc...
impossible for somebody to say how much bhp it will add but it will make a bit of a difference than using the efi pipe

Mike D EP82

Member +
or you could do what I done here -
skyline037.jpg

doing that to the turbo isnt protecting it from anything, might as well not have it there. iv seen what happens to the engine internally when you dont run an air filter the wear to the pistons and bores is unbelievable, all because of dust. if you look at a blitz sus filter then you will see how fine it must be before it does anything.