Replaced Headgasket but still Water in the oil???

sam2kk8

Fresh Recruit
Basically i overheated the engine and cooked the headgasket, water was splurting from cylinder 3 when i done a compression test...however there appeared to be no water in the oil at this time, Took the head off (had it skimmed), Had a new headgasket kit so put everything back together and fresh oil and filter, since then took the car around the block and noticed the car died on idle after some time, then found the oil cap and dipstick all milky, cleaned it off but it came back,
Just done a compression test and they all came back between 145 and 155 so everthing seems okay there...

What else could this be ? :S

mrpeal55

Member +
double check the pipes going to the throttle body. two vac pipes and two water pipes. if there on wrong it can suck water into the engine.

kearnsy gt

Member +
I had the same problem wen i had my glanza went tru two head gaskets and turnd out to b pipes in wrng position jst under the inlet on the trottle body !

weeJohn

Lifer
If there was a lot of water in the sump, the oil will have been sitting on top of it. The sump plug will not let all the oil out of the sump, there is always about half a pint of oil left in there as the threads for the plug sit higher than the bottom of the sump. It may be that the engine is boiling the water left in the bottom of the sump, turning it to vapour, which is giving the milky residue you see.

I would take the sump off and clean it out, fill it with fresh oil and try again. I dont know why it cut out on idle, that could be another issue.

sam2kk8

Fresh Recruit
Right lads...Drained oil and changed oil filter then just poured in about 2 litres of oil with sump plug off...started her up and cleaned oil cap a few times and seems to have solved that issue!

Thanks to all :)

toyotagt

Member +
sometimes wen i change oil i jack up the front about 2 foot and that takes all the oil out.., when you do the HG its no harm taking the sump off to clean it spotless..
handy fix tho :)

weeJohn

Lifer
Right lads...Drained oil and changed oil filter then just poured in about 2 litres of oil with sump plug off...started her up and cleaned oil cap a few times and seems to have solved that issue!

Thanks to all :)

Glad you got sorted lad, oil does float on top of water but so there may be a bit left in there but it will probably evaporate over time.