RPM Signal, -IGN vs NE?

yiph

Member +
What's the difference between the -IGN signal (from distributor I think) and the NE(Integrated igition feedback) pin from the ECU?

Are they both square wave forms with same amplitude and frequency?

dark_knight

Member +
i had never thought to consider the differences but have you tested them with an oscilloscope to know for sure that they are both square wave forms..?

Chris@CCM

Member +
Ne is the 24 tooth wheel in side the dizzy g1 is the 1 tooth and g2 is the other single tooth in there the g- is the ground for all 3 vr sensors in the dizzy

Texx

Super Moderator
What's the difference between the -IGN signal (from distributor I think) and the NE(Integrated igition feedback) pin from the ECU?

Are they both square wave forms with same amplitude and frequency?

They're both analogue signals and have sine waveforms, the IGF (ignition feedback) signal IIRC has a sine almost sawtooth waveform that's cropped by the igniter to mimic the IGT signal as best as possible. The only RPM related signal that is digital and has a square waveform is the IGT (ignition trigger) signal sent from the ECU to the ignition igniter.

yiph

Member +
They're both analogue signals and have sine waveforms, the IGF (ignition feedback) signal IIRC has a sine almost sawtooth waveform that's cropped by the igniter to mimic the IGT signal as best as possible. The only RPM related signal that is digital and has a square waveform is the IGT (ignition trigger) signal sent from the ECU to the ignition igniter.

Thanks everyone, I just had a good read of the technical documents mentioned above, the picture they had made a lot of sense.

The tacho in a Glanza, does it read off the NE or IGF signal? An aftermarket tacho works with the NE signal, but the cluster one doesn't seem to react to it?

Texx

Super Moderator
The tacho in a Glanza, does it read off the NE or IGF signal?

I'm not 100% as I've never scoped the stock tacho signal, but I think the igniter's IGF SGC filters the IG- of the ignition coil and fires it off to the tacho in the dash.