Scraping Noise From Wheel?

John757

Member +
Hey guys,

Quick question, when im driving around with the window down i've noticed a scraping sound (kind of?) coming from one of the wheels. Now I know one of the rear wheel bearings need's changing, which I will do very soon. Just wondering though, is this the sound of the bearing? As I wouldn't know what bad bearings sound like. The only other thing I can think of would be a warped disc thats rubbing against the caliper. But I doubt it.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
bearings tend to hum more that scrape, but i wouldn't rule it out. first port of call is check the pads and maybe anything that might be catching when in motion, ie shit guard behind disk

Jay

Admin
Could just be the backing plate behind the disc (protecting it from debris and the car from brakedust) touching on the discs slightly.

You can bend it back slightly and see if it improves/gets louder.

I had a similar noice on my auto earlier in the year and this was it.

As jay says....on the off chance though,how low is the car? My passenger tyre catches the inner wing when on full lock,sounds like a scraping noise:confused:

Rick

Trader
I've always had this noise since owning the car and I've had 3 sets of discs on her mate. From what I could work it was just the pad coming into VERY slight contact with the disc. If you listen carefully you will hear the different sound on the grooves on the disc. If the discs were warped they would judder badly under breaking. As I said you are definetly in need of pads but that's all.

If it really bugs you that much you might want to look at a caliper rebuild which should sort it out.

Other than that, this could be the perfect excuse to go for a bigger brake upgrade :rockon: