smoking a lil bit

rage

Lifer
my car has been smoking a little bit for a while now.
when i accelerate, no problems, shift gear and a tiny puff of smoke comes out.
let go of the throttle, slow down on the engine, pick up the throttle again and i get a decent puff of smoke.

turbo exhaust seal? most likely?

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds more like valve stem oil seals tbh.

can you see the smoke out the back of the car or is someone following you watching?

rage

Lifer
can see it in the rear view mirror, only smokes when letting go of the throttle, slowing down on the engine and then giving it some gas, puff of smoke and all is fine afterwards.

weeJohn

Lifer
Take the manifolds off and you can see the valve stems below the seals. You may see a wet stem or a build of of carbon where its been burning on it.

rage

Lifer
no smoke (other than normal water vapor) on startup

good tip weejohn! will look into that.
can check the turbo seal at the same time

dac69er

Super Moderator
Only when they are really bad. Mine were gone and didn't have much smoke at all tbh. My valve guides were also gone!

rage

Lifer
took off the turbo yesterday. was all nice and clean as it's supposed to be.
so it wasn;t the turbo that was leaking.

then checked the valve seals and found this:

20130314_192847.jpg

so i've found my smoke problem, leaking valve stem seal.
oh well, something to do over the weekend then :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
its a pain, but do them all while you are at it. generally it will onl be the exhaust side that are gone, but if you do the lot it rules them out.

if the guides are worn you are wasting your time though, as they wont last very long

4efteboost

Member +
im pretty sure that most motor factors have a tool to compress the valve springs so you can take retainers out and then remove valve seal once spring is out of the way. not 100% on these engines as i have never done them

ben10

Member +
im pretty sure that most motor factors have a tool to compress the valve springs so you can take retainers out and then remove valve seal once spring is out of the way. not 100% on these engines as i have never done them

you on about a spring compressor. big c shape thing then yeah the head will need to come off. i have done it in the past not on these cars but by taking the cam belt of and getting 1 cylinder tdc and manualy pushing the spring down , the valve wont drop as the piston is there. then take the spring off and replace the seal

ben10

Member +
ahh sweet that looks cool, must grip hold of the bottom of the spring. that should work :) only thing i will point out is if the piston is not tdc on the cylinder that you are taking the spring off the valve will fall in :( might be worth doing the removal of the spring and fit the new seal and all back together before moving onto the next spring. use a socket to push the valve seal on don't want to damage it with pliers or anything. good luck matey