speedvision valve springs

has any one had any trouble with these snapping my engines dropped a valve not good due to a spring snapping in half and thats caused the valve to drop the only thing i didnt rebuild was the head i had no time at the time to get it done i left it in the hands off nick jones to have the head work done to fit the springs reshim with old shims that i was told were good i thought this myself and have the speedvision cams fitted to..... now this has happend.......

thought this could also be a warning to have them springs checked on your engines guys they have to be at the right pressure as who evers fitting them should be checking this pressure.........

whiteglanzav

Member +
has any one had any trouble with these snapping my engines dropped a valve not good due to a spring snapping in half and thats caused the valve to drop the only thing i didnt rebuild was the head i had no time at the time to get it done i left it in the hands off nick jones to have the head work done to fit the springs reshim with old shims that i was told were good i thought this myself and have the speedvision cams fitted to..... now this has happend.......

thought this could also be a warning to have them springs checked on your engines guys they have to be at the right pressure as who evers fitting them should be checking this pressure.........

did u have no head work done what so ever before the springs were fitted ??

im sure you have to have the seats machined out a little in order for them to fit 100%

danturbo4311

Member +
Did you get the valve spring base pressure checked as that sounds like the problem, are the cam lobes ok & how many miles had it done.

checked all head over. new valve stems fitted skimmed new speedvision springs fitted and new cams and same shims as was told there ok and was built all back up

danturbo4311

Member +
Would say its definetly worth talking to him about it as iv already said it sounds like the spring base pressure wasnt checked therefore the springs were coil binding, this should of been checked when the springs were being installed, as its very important, to much pressure will cause stress on the springs & round the lobes on the cam, not enough pressure will cause valve bounce which is also bad. Alot of machine shops assume that if valve clearance is ok then the spring base pressure will be to, but there two totally different things & both must be checked.

Last edited:

Rory

Lifer
Sounds like the springs have been binding.

Speak to Nick, its the 1st thing i would have done ;)

Morph

Member +
Like i said earlier dan thats bad news get on the phone to nick asap after work and let me know how you get on later ill have to grab them greddy handbooks off you sometime dude.

yeah i dano why ive got 2 sets of them books haha pop round for them dude..... striping it down when i get home to to have a look at damage and what has acturally happend :(

ryan-11

Member +
i was told by the company that rebuilt my head that the speedvision springs wouldnt work when they checked the spring base pressure.

gv1.3

Admin
Calling your builder (Nick) would be the first course of action.

This thread is interesting though, I will be keeping an eye on it.

danturbo4311

Member +
These springs will work, whenever uprating valve springs (no matter what manufacturer) the spring base pressure should always be checked & adjusted if needed. In order for them to work, there are several ways you can adjust the spring pressure if the coils are binding, by machining the spring seat however most places iv been to dont have a small enough tool for our heads, the next is by machining the valve seat so that the valve seats further in the head (however this can disrupt flow, depends how far in the head the valve sits) Or the other option is what im getting made for my head at the moment, which is some custom valve retainers.