stock brakes maximum threshold capability

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Depends how you drive :p

I run standard pads and disks on mine, I've braided lines though, more than enough so far unless I'm on the circuits or doing a road mapping session.

dark_knight

Member +
good point raising the 'how you drive' issue. i'd presume they wouldn't last long given some serious thrashing with lots of high speed braking, like say.. on a track..?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
good point raising the 'how you drive' issue. i'd presume they wouldn't last long given some serious thrashing with lots of high speed braking, like say.. on a track..?

I managed 2 laps of a short circuit before the brakes where non existant lol, very easy to cook the stock ones.

I also found when road mapping it, after 3 or 4 full 4th gear pulls and hard braking back down to 40-50mph the car had noticably less pedal feel and required a few mins before further pulls.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
ive gone celica st165 conversion and there is less fade, quite bit less actually then stock starlet ones.
also im comparing celica to my stock calipers which had yellowstuff pads, which were good, but like spuddy said after 3 laps of brands hatch they were fading a bit.
but the celicas have not faded as much, considering the celica are on stock pads.lol

also a tip i been taught to do, is brake a lil earlier, then use ur left foot to dab brakes, not full stop braking to ease fading issues.

dark_knight

Member +
@jayc-glanza17: left foot braking is quite an art, i'll tell you that for sure. an art that needs lotsa practice. the few times i'd tried, i bashed my face in the steering coz i overbraked.. :D lol

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
learn to brake earlier with les force matey, also dab the pedal a lil to shake of speed, thats track orientated driving, i found even on a country lane blast it helped before i could left foot brake.lol

i only do as track few times a year matey, if u want more braking torque, look at the celica or levin conversion.

dark_knight

Member +
@weeJohn: this would most likely mean that i run different rim sets on the front and rear.. :( ..since the front would now be 5-stud and rear, 4-stud.. :|

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
dude, get ur 5 stud discs machined to a 4 stud fitment.
john done ot and i have done it also with great results.

btw john, did u manage to get a redstuff of mintex pad for those calipers.

dark_knight

Member +
to machine or not?

@jayc-glanza17: i know this is a tall order but do you have pix of when you were doing the machining..? or even the end result after the machining..? i'm a little worried that this might reduce the structural integrity of the whole setup.. kinda the same thing people do with rims that have the wrong stud-count. i've always felt that this reduces the overall strength of the rim with it being drilled in other areas that were not meant to be..? maybe it's a baseless worry..? :confused: