Stripped out the gt yesterday

Auto EP82

Lifer
I got boared yesterday and decided to strip the back end out.It seems so much faster now and engine respose is better to how many of you have stripped yours out?

Craig_GT

Lifer
I usually strip it out for goin on the strip.. does make a diff

couldnt handle it everyday tho too noisy for me.. i do 30miles motorway driving every day!

Auto EP82

Lifer
Yeh im gunna put everythin back in this week i find it to noisy aswell but i do reacon ive taken bout 0.2 of a sec off my 0-60 time seems so much faster it actually scared me again lol.

GTti

Member +
Makes a huge difference to acceleration, CoG / handling, braking, especially at faster speeds too.

Also on sunroof models - if you strip the sunroof off and rivet a panel over it'll weigh less than a non sunroof model. Reason being is because sunroof models don't have the reinforcements horizontally across the roof.

I've got some sound deadning to strip off the floor plan, electric mirror motors to ditch. Thats probably another 20kg's worth all together. Still got the heater matrix in at the mo though.

Someone else was weighed with similar dramatic weight savings and theirs was 698KG so hoping to be similar! Easy for 230-260bhp per ton with the 3 pot at 160 - 180bhp.

Auto EP82

Lifer
yeh i think i must have taken bout 60-70 kgs out yesterday did make a difference but i cnt take ppl out in it now so gunna put the seats back in i just wanted to see if other ppl noticed a big difference or weather it just feels quicker because its louder.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah you will I've stripped out our run around now much better although added to it with a roll cage! Auto get some 15's and you will save another 10kg :)

T

Auto EP82

Lifer
Well after yesterday i was thinkin of keepin the gt and getin it to about 200 bhp,putin some rota 15"s on it and gettin a carbon fibre bonnet the acceleration should be alot better then.I just like showin up the bigger cars lol.

Auto EP82

Lifer
toby just thinkin at the mo nothing in stone but how much can you do a hybrid for and if i got the bonnet wheels n turbo could you do a discount. oh and also when runnin 1.1 bar do you need to uprate the head gasket n how does it effect the internals cheers.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Hey mate,

No worries, we could do a 4% discount for the bulk order via the site. For running 1.1 bar it's all dependant on the current condition of the engine, you should be okay as long as you run an uprated manifold which will help to increase flow and reduce cylinder temps. With stock internals, a good tune and a looked after car you should be fine :)

T

Auto EP82

Lifer
well i service the engine every 6000 miles and the head gasket was done in december and is only done 37,000 miles so it should be fine.How will the gearbox cope with 200 bhp also cuz i have just replaced that and it was a nitemare sourcing 1 so dont realy want that goin again.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Again depends on the current condition of yours and how you drive. I personally drive them hard and gearbox syncors don't last long, you can keep driving them for a while but eventually you won't be able to get her in certain gears.

The box is a weak point on the Starlet but only when you get to 300+ HP, 200hp should be fine for most it will just deteriorate quicker over time pending again on your driving style. My favourite word of 2008, variables, just lot's of variables!

Auto EP82

Lifer
Yeh i understand you cant give me an exact answer.Trouble is i lauch alot so obviously puttin it under alot of strain just dont wana spend a couple of grand gettin power up for the gearbox to keep goin as its £660 every time but thanx alot for all the advice i will have a think and give you a call if i go for the power route.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

No problem, 200hp is fine for most g/boxes. If it's a little crunchy now then adding power will make it only worse but they will last a good ol time until you get mad power..

T

Auto EP82

Lifer
The auto box seems fine now but think the problem with the last 1 was that the clutches or pressure plate what ever they have wore out in it, in a manual you could just change the clutch but i needed a new box.Not sure if it went because it couldent handle the power i already got.The bloke i bought it off said they can handle bout 250 bhp but no one seems to be sure what they can handle.

TomS

Lifer
You'll have to stockpile auto boxes before you start going for big power:p

What's your car at the moment 170-180 atf?