temperature range

ramses974

Member +
hi, i saw that the stock toyota gauge is not so accurate & reliable....when itgoes over the half position it means it is very high...
what is the normazl temperature range when cruising ? and on hard driving?

ramses974

Member +
when i am with A/C i cannot drop it to low ....meanwhile , i have a second gauge for temperature (defi gauge) ,temp goes to 108C, meanwhile the stock gauge stills at the center ...I have dataloged water temp too , an yes it is exactly what indicates the defi gauge...
i think my car has a headgasket prolem

Rev

Member +
i think my car has a headgasket problem

I hope not but driving with high temp is no good either way.
> Would check the thermostat opens should be at 82degC for stock type.
> Also check Water pump , if top and bottom radiator hoses get hot it is circulating.
> And are both Radiator fans functioning.
> You could check for water loss etc . but I have been advised by posts here that the water sniff test is best way to check for headgasket trouble.

ramses974

Member +
water pump was changed last 3 months..i have a sard thermostat and both fan are functionning....i have no water loss....

ramses974

Member +
I hope not but driving with high temp is no good either way.
> Would check the thermostat opens should be at 82degC for stock type.
> Also check Water pump , if top and bottom radiator hoses get hot it is circulating.
> And are both Radiator fans functioning.
> You could check for water loss etc . but I have been advised by posts here that the water sniff test is best way to check for headgasket trouble.
iwas driving with my car due to the fact that the needle temp gauge stills half the ggraduation but this needle lies ..i have wired my defi gauge and dataloged the ultimate and yes sometimes on cruise i am with 107c!!!!

weeJohn

Lifer
I have found the stock gauge to read the same way as yours does compared to a Defi, scared the pants off me at first lol. It could be a head gasket problem, probably best to get a leak down test done to see if there is any CO in the coolant.

ramses974

Member +
just a summary of the seo:

-block verified
-head skimed
-beck harnley head gasket
-arp head bolt (new)
-new water pump
-without thermostat ( i have fitted a new , no change)
-water sensor fitted on the top of the radiator (defi system)
-timing verified
-flat piston all forged (come back to low compression to verify )
-5e block
-all hose changed
-radiator cleaned

---->stills hot ...on cruise i have 97-101 degre monitored on the ultimate & on the defi (only 2 degre less but very high)
--->i have done a test without thermostat and the problem stills

when i accelerate and turbo begins to create boost, i saw temp rising ...

the problem is that the toyota gauge is lying a lot , if i have not fitted the defi sensors i will never see the problem...it is only when after fitting my 5e with the silly mechanic that i saw the problem , temp was rising and if i stop the engine and go down the engine is cooling ...

dark_knight

Member +
for the sake of comparison, here are my stats, if they are of any help..
:: engine is mostly stock (at least on the cooling bit of things)
:: ambient day-time temps are about 29 deg C
:: running green-stuff coolant and i often get about 96 deg C when in slow traffic
:: running 15w-40 oil and that gets to about 88 deg C
:: when on open road doing 50mph averages, i get 88 coolant temp and about 80 oil temp

ps: my defi coolant temp sensor taps adjacent from the thermo housing so i believe i'm getting close-to-accurate readings..
i know it's obvious at this point but i'm presuming you have checked that your thermostat is operating normally..?

ramses974

Member +
perhaps the mechanic shop has lying me about my head and have just skimmed it ...and non tested it meanwhil i paid for both...i will fit another head to see if it heats

could the difference be due to where your sensor is located?
is your sensor fitted a similar place to dark-knight?
which temp sensor is your emanage using to record temps?---stock or defi?

is the car overheating or losing any coolant?

ramses974

Member +
could the difference be due to where your sensor is located?
is your sensor fitted a similar place to dark-knight?
which temp sensor is your emanage using to record temps?---stock or defi?

is the car overheating or losing any coolant?

1/my sensor for the defi is fitted to the top of the radiator hose
2/i datalog it on the ultimate on the stock sensor (only 2degre C of difference ) both sensors show me that it is hot ...
3/i do not lose water but if i insist to go on moutain road , water comes out the botle coolant

is my paseo radiator undersised ???

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I've seen 115c on my defi water temp gauge - fitted in the upper rad hose, and the stock gauge didn't even twitch from the middle position.

ramses974

Member +
I've seen 115c on my defi water temp gauge - fitted in the upper rad hose, and the stock sensor didn't even twitch from the middle position.

that is right but if you datalog it you will see on teh stock sensor a value close to 115c due to the fact that the TOYOTA gauge lies

ramses974

Member +
my friend Azerty told me that is Glanza in Mauritius goes around 88-92C when driving , mine is close to 100C ... and his radiator seems bigger than mine

Can someone confirm me that radiator's paseo is finer than that of Glanza

weeJohn

Lifer
Let the car warm up then feel around the rad for cold spots, maybe flushing was not able to clear it all out.

ramses974

Member +
i drove my car without hood...always hot...i ma with 3 fans...and when i sitch on the A/C temp rises adding 2 degres of heat