THE never ending leak..

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
Its got to the point the amount of leaks i'm getting are becoming amusing.
After sealing 5 different places on my gearbox, and changing driveshaft seals to stop tranny fluid leaking after a transmission rebuild... I now have engine oil dripping frequently from where the gearbox meets the engine oil sump. Can anyone advise me!?
I thought either crankshaft seal or sump gasket.. Also is there the chance that fluids are mixing into one and other?
Thanks in advance!

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be either sump or the rear main oil seal. i would tend to say its the rear main as the sump doesnt usually leak unless its been touched.

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
Yer its dripping directly down where they meet, but from the very bottom of the g-box. Are crankshaft seals and rear main oil seals the same, or fit onto each other ? sorry not top mechanic! This cars a constant learning curve for me :) .. thanks for the help.

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
One more problem I just encountered, when i took the driveshaft seal off nothing came out at all so i presumed the box had leaked all contents out, and would need another 2L of oil.. so i did fully synth.. after 1 week (Just now) I managed to get the right sockets and took the level plug out.. about 2L of the shit flooded out, and its black.. uh oh ?? :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
rear main and crankshaft seal are the same thing mate ;)

bit strange nothing came out?????? and doesnt sound good the oil is black. i would drain it all out and put fresh in there up to the correct level

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
i know its so weird, nothing came out yet it was literally 2 litres over filled from putting 2.5 litres in (from presumably empty) when i did the level plug earlier. span me right out, was expecting to top it up tbh! thing is when I did the driveshaft seal i didnt drain it from the plug as its been glued on with some shit so expected it all to come out of the driveshaft.. but not a drop. super worried about it after the black oil, gota drive 250 miles tomorrow :( reckon it could have gone black from it being way to full for a week? if thats even possible to that extent