thermostat question help

nexia201

Member +
took out thermostat feom car yesterday as it blew a hosepipe and found that the opening temp on it is 82deg is this the oe item that comes with the car ep82 1991 or it was exchanged for a hotter one which was making my car run hotter than normal in oir high temperatures? Help will be repped

lingl9z

Member +
yeah pretty sure thats stock? thats what mine was, never thought you could get hotter running stats that stock, only lower...infact i think mine was opening at 76. ?

Texx

Super Moderator
I believe the stock stat should have 82°C stamped on it, but the initial valve opening temperature would most likely be:

80°C - 84°C
176°F - 183°F

The valve opening lift should be around 8mm or more at 95°C (203°F).

nexia201

Member +
well thank you all for your input all were repd ,in te uk i would run it on the 82c one no problem but in a country like ours if i could find 10c i would fit that thas why im running no thermostat and believe me it still get hot fast now will see in the winter not that i see a problem getting it up to heat ,maybe just take 5min instead of 2

EvilKnievel

Member +
Thermostat? Here we usually take em out and chuck em. Run most engines without em, but then our temps here much hotter than europe, so I would not reccomend it unless like us you have 45'celcius temperatures during the day. ;-)

nexia201

Member +
im fairly sure that you shouldn't be running without a thermostat. if you want to do anything to lower your temps you should wedge it open.
running without it creates "hotspots" in the water jacket

does it? why the water pump is still circulating ? i know there is that passage which is used as a bypass when engine is cold and that should be blocked when engine get warm but cant see why if system is bled properly you should get hotspots

Member +
i know what your saying, but dad (20+ years working for toyota) has told me this before. apparently toyota insisted not to remove it, but to cog it open when diagnosing problems

nexia201

Member +
i know what your saying, but dad (20+ years working for toyota) has told me this before. apparently toyota insisted not to remove it, but to cog it open when diagnosing problems

ok i will take your advise on this mate cant argue with expiriance so where can i find one that opens at 70c?

Texx

Super Moderator
The thermostat creates a restriction in the cooling system, this restriction slows down the flow of coolant and allows the radiator chance to do it's job. If you remove that restriction, the coolant could get pumped out of the radiator before it's had chance to cool down. So in theory, removing the stat could cause cooling problems during prolonged hard driving.