Time for a bloody rebuild!!

tayyib

Lifer
I've had the worst 2 weeks ever with my starlet. fitted a turbo engine first to find 3rd cylinder fooked. Then fitted my bros engine which was originally waiting to go in his car. It started up and ran sweet, then the fmic piping kept popping off everytime it came on boost. got that sorted and now the bottom end has started knocking.

just a few quick questions?

How much have you guys on here payed to have a crankshaft reground?
which i need to get done.

How much are big end bearings from toyota? Anyone got part numbers?

Is it possible for big ends to be replaced whilst the engine is still in the car?

Thanks

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
i only have the answer for the last question but i think you can indeed change them with the engine in the car. you may need a lift or a pit for ease of access

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
If you would like uprated ACL main end, & big end bearings let me know, i can get them in any size :)

as for bearings being changed in place, yes they can, however in ur case i would strip the engine down.. & see why it started knocking..

could be sludge.. or metal filings..

kon

sx_turbo

Lifer
i would take both engines apart, and use the best parts out of each to make 1.

and put some new bearings in also.

eg6b18c

Member +
I've had the worst 2 weeks ever with my starlet. fitted a turbo engine first to find 3rd cylinder fooked. Then fitted my bros engine which was originally waiting to go in his car. It started up and ran sweet, then the fmic piping kept popping off everytime it came on boost. got that sorted and now the bottom end has started knocking.

just a few quick questions?

How much have you guys on here payed to have a crankshaft reground?
which i need to get done.

How much are big end bearings from toyota? Anyone got part numbers?

Is it possible for big ends to be replaced whilst the engine is still in the car?

Thanks

Are you using the standard manifold?

danturbo4311

Member +
I paid £220 for a crankshaft grind & the machine shop supplied the bearings & thrust washers, as others said your best of stripping the engine, also check your oil pump & locate what the problem is, otherwise you'll end up with another ruined crank & bearings. you can either take the crank to a machine shop & let them sort the bearings/thrust washers as depending on how much needs grinding will depend on what size bearings you'll need or find out how much they ground off then get your own oversized bearings from on here or toyotas.

tayyib

Lifer
I've put two engines in, in the space of 9 days, i've had it with taking apart and etc, i'd rather pay someone to do it for me. that way they can check everything out make sure it is right and if anything does go wrong its not because of my misjudgement. its the mechanics.

not using a standard exhaust manifold. its one of Dane's from the second batch.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
your better off striping the engine down and get it rebuilt do it right once you wount have to do it again mybe look for a second hand crank as regrinding costs and not the best for running big power.:)